What Are the Solutions to the System of Inequalities for Target Heart Rate?

In summary, the exercise target heart rate region can be represented by the inequalities 110 - 0.50x ≤ y ≤ 187 - 0.85x, where x represents a person's age in years and y represents their target heart rate in beats per minute. This means that for a person between 20 and 70 years old, their target heart rate should be between 110 - 0.50x and 187 - 0.85x beats per minute. To find two solutions, we can plug in different values of x, such as 20 and 70, and interpret the resulting y values as the target heart rate for those ages. For a 20-year-old, the target heart rate would be
mathland
One formula for a person’s maximum heart rate is 220 − x, where x is the person’s age in years for
20 ≤ x ≤ 70. The American Heart Association recommends that when a person exercises, the person should strive for a heart rate that is at least 50% of the maximum and at most 85% of the maximum.

(a) Write a system of inequalities that describes the exercise target heart rate region.

I need someone to get me started here.

(b) Find two solutions of the system and interpret their meanings in the context of the problem.

What exactly is part (b) asking for? Is part (b) asking for the value(s) of x?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's a start:
(a) What is 50 percent of 220 - x? What is 85 percent of 220 - x?

-Dan

topsquark said:
Here's a start:
(a) What is 50 percent of 220 - x? What is 85 percent of 220 - x?

-Dan

(A)0.50(220 - x) = 110 - 0.50x

(B)

0.85(220 - x) = 187 - 0.85x

mathland said:
(A)0.50(220 - x) = 110 - 0.50x

(B)

0.85(220 - x) = 187 - 0.85x
Good! So what's the range of values this could take? (Hint: What's the smallest value of x?)

-Dan

What is the formula for calculating heart rate?

The formula for calculating heart rate is 220 minus your age. This gives an estimate of your maximum heart rate.

How accurate is the heart rate formula?

The heart rate formula is a general estimate and may not be accurate for everyone. Factors such as fitness level and health conditions can affect heart rate.

Can the heart rate formula be used for all types of exercise?

The heart rate formula is most commonly used for cardiovascular exercises such as running, cycling, and swimming. It may not be as accurate for strength training or other types of exercises.

How can I track my heart rate during exercise?

You can track your heart rate during exercise by using a heart rate monitor or by taking your pulse manually. Place two fingers on your wrist or neck and count the number of beats for 15 seconds, then multiply by 4 to get your heart rate per minute.

Is it safe to exercise at my maximum heart rate?

It is generally not recommended to exercise at your maximum heart rate for an extended period of time. It is important to listen to your body and not push yourself too hard. Consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new exercise routine.