What is the function x(t) for an underdamped oscillating system

In summary, using the solution for the damped oscillating system provided in the formula sheet, we can find ##x## in time using the given initial conditions.
Damian

Homework Statement

upload_2018-11-5_12-29-2.png

upload_2018-11-5_12-29-18.png

Homework Equations

and the attempt at a solution[/B]
Approach: Use the solution for the damped oscillating system provided in the formula sheet. We must use the given initial conditions to find the unknown phase ##\phi## and that will give us an expression for ##x## in time. Could use the 'general' solution with the unknowns ##C_1## and ##C_2## but the math seems much harder, so we can use the form below to simplify the calculation.

Since it's underdamped, ##x(t) = A_0 e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}} cos(\omega't+\phi)##

Initial conditions: ##t=0, x = A_0## and ##t=0, \dot x=0##

Using initial conditions: ##A_0 = A_0 cos\phi## so that means ##\phi = 0##

But when using velocity, ##\dot x = 0 = A_0 (-\frac{1}{\tau}cos(0) - sin(0) \cdot \omega'## which would mean that the amplitude and/or damping rate are zero when the parts are stationary.

Does this mean ##x(t) = A_0 e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}} cos(\omega't)##?

Thanks in advance for any help, hints or comments :)

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-5_12-29-2.png
    upload_2018-11-5_12-29-2.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 603
  • upload_2018-11-5_12-29-18.png
    upload_2018-11-5_12-29-18.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 569
  • upload_2018-11-5_12-29-35.png
    upload_2018-11-5_12-29-35.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 308
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]e^{-t/\tau}[/itex] factor occurs due to the dampening it is the exponential decay of the amplitude as the dampening dissipates the energy. You should leave it out (effectively [itex]\tau \to \infty[/itex]) for the undampened case.

Likes Damian
Thanks for your reply jambaugh.

In this question, it said the system was underdamped - I thought that mean the amplitude does decay exponentially over time. So should I still leave out the [itex]e^{-t/\tau}[/itex] factor?

jambaugh said:
The [itex]e^{-t/\tau}[/itex] factor occurs due to the dampening it is the exponential decay of the amplitude as the dampening dissipates the energy. You should leave it out (effectively [itex]\tau \to \infty[/itex]) for the undampened case.
It was underdamped , not undamped.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/oscda.html

Likes Damian
Damian said:
Thanks for your reply jambaugh.

In this question, it said the system was underdamped - I thought that mean the amplitude does decay exponentially over time. So should I still leave out the [itex]e^{-t/\tau}[/itex] factor?
No, you need the exponential factor. But you should give τ and ω' in terms of γ and ω0.

Likes Damian and Delta2
Oh, My bad eyesight! I read "under" as "un-". Very different case and your approach looks correct qualified with what ehild said. I apologize for my misreading your question. Did that twice now recently.

Likes Damian and Delta2

1. What is an underdamped oscillating system?

An underdamped oscillating system is a type of physical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior, where the system's displacement from equilibrium varies over time. It occurs when the damping force in the system is less than the critical damping value, allowing the system to oscillate with decreasing amplitude.

2. What is the function x(t) for an underdamped oscillating system?

The function x(t) for an underdamped oscillating system can be expressed as x(t) = A * e^(-ζωn*t) * sin(ωd*t + φ), where A is the initial displacement, ζ is the damping ratio, ωn is the natural frequency, ωd is the damped frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. How does the damping ratio affect the behavior of an underdamped oscillating system?

The damping ratio, ζ, determines the rate at which the amplitude of the oscillations decreases over time. A higher damping ratio results in a faster decrease in amplitude, while a lower damping ratio allows for more sustained oscillations.

4. What is the critical damping value for an underdamped oscillating system?

The critical damping value for an underdamped oscillating system is when the damping ratio, ζ, is equal to 1. At this point, the system will experience minimal oscillations and return to equilibrium in the shortest amount of time.

5. How does an underdamped oscillating system differ from an overdamped or critically damped system?

An underdamped oscillating system differs from an overdamped system in that it exhibits oscillatory behavior, while an overdamped system does not. An underdamped system also differs from a critically damped system in that it has a damping ratio, ζ, less than 1, while a critically damped system has a damping ratio of 1.