What are the Styrofoam rods for in the MIG air intake?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the conversation revolves around visits to different air museums and favorite exhibits, including the Combat Air Museum, the National Air and Space Museum, and the U.S. Air Force Museum. The conversation also includes discussions about General Chuck Yeagar and a personal experience at the U.S. Air Force Museum. The final topic is a question about the purpose of styrofoam rods in the air intake of a MIG aircraft.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I went to the Combat Air Museum in Topeka, Kansas a couple days ago and thought I'd post a few photos:
Inside of turban
small-carol-6.jpg

An old "Air Force One"
small-carol-16.jpg

Inside of hanger 1 of 2
small-carol-19.jpg

Me
small-carol-23.jpg

small-carol-27.jpg

• Love
Likes DennisN, Oldman too, Klystron and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, there is a similar Air Museum in Sacramento that I've been to a coulple of times. Once was for an event where General Chuck Yeagar was giving a talk -- very cool. :smile:

• Love
Likes Klystron, hutchphd and dlgoff
berkeman said:
Once was for an event where General Chuck Yeagar
That would have been a treat. :smile:

Likes hutchphd and berkeman
Here's the Combat Air Museum Visitor's Map:
small-Visitor's Map 001.jpg

The National Air and Space Museum at Dulles is worth a visit. I liked the SR-71 and rocket exhibits. Also, the Concorde was smaller than I expected.

Likes Klystron, BillTre, berkeman and 1 other person
caz said:
I liked the SR-71 and rocket exhibits.
Those would probably be my favorites.

Likes Frabjous
I grew up 19 miles from Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio built at Huffman prairie (Wright Brothers enthusiasts will recognize the location) and home of the U S Air Force Museum. A very impressively large collection of aircraft, missiles (although their Atlas missile sprang an air leak and deflated/crumpled :frown:), and technology. It is my favorite aero museum (although I have not seen the Udvar-Hazy wing of the Smithsonian out by Dulles airport). I remember a very weird visit to the USAFM over Christmas college break listening to MuzaK carols while contemplating the B-36 underside with the Mark 17 thermonuclear weapons at the bay.
Not to be missed.
https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Likes dlgoff and russ_watters
hutchphd said:
I remember a very weird visit to the USAFM over Christmas college break listening to MuzaK carols while contemplating the B-36 underside with the Mark 17 thermonuclear weapons at the bay.
Yeah, that's a very weird juxtaposition.

Likes dlgoff
Here are a few more photos:
small carol-1.jpg

small carol-2.jpg

small carol-3.jpg

small carol-4.jpg

Likes DennisN
What's that stuff filling up the air intake of MIG? (I think it's a MIG)

berkeman said:
What's that stuff filling up the air intake of MIG? (I think it's a MIG)
They are just styrofoam rods. I'm guessing to keep the opening well opened.

1. What is Styrofoam and why is it used in the MIG air intake?

Styrofoam is a type of plastic foam material that is commonly used for insulation and packaging. In the MIG air intake, it is used as a lightweight and durable material to create the shape and structure of the air intake.

2. How does the Styrofoam in the MIG air intake affect the performance of the aircraft?

The Styrofoam in the MIG air intake plays a crucial role in the aerodynamics of the aircraft. It helps to direct air flow into the engine, allowing for efficient combustion and increased thrust. Additionally, it helps to reduce drag and improve the overall speed and maneuverability of the aircraft.

3. Can the Styrofoam in the MIG air intake be replaced with another material?

While there are other materials that can be used in the MIG air intake, Styrofoam is specifically chosen for its lightweight and insulating properties. Replacing it with another material may affect the performance of the aircraft and is not recommended unless thoroughly tested and approved by the aircraft manufacturer.

4. Is the Styrofoam in the MIG air intake environmentally friendly?

Styrofoam is not known for its eco-friendliness as it is not biodegradable and can take hundreds of years to decompose. However, in the MIG air intake, it is used in a small amount and is necessary for the functioning of the aircraft. Proper disposal and recycling of the Styrofoam can help reduce its impact on the environment.

5. How long does the Styrofoam in the MIG air intake last?

The lifespan of the Styrofoam in the MIG air intake depends on various factors such as usage, maintenance, and environmental conditions. However, it is a durable material and can last for several years if properly cared for. Regular inspections and replacements may be necessary to ensure optimal performance of the aircraft.