What are the top 5 daily websites for internet users?

• Thread starter rktpro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Websites
In summary, Ryan is an addict of various websites, but his homepage is Google. He checks out the trivia thing and joins up. He plays the Tuesday game. Thanks for the link.slashdot for a geeky news/discussion fix. sbs.com.au for the daily (australian) news. bbc.co.uk for more news. inthemix.com.au for my electronic music discussion fix. soundcloud.com for more music. facebook for a combination of what's up with friends, music I follow, random laffs. ted.com not quite daily, but regularly, for an interesting talk. dreamincode.net a new programming forum I found
rktpro
It would be interesting to know about the websites you have as homepage; you open daily; you can't resist without.
Let's have at least 5 from every user.

Physics news on Phys.org
PF...

rktpro said:
It would be interesting to know about the websites you have as homepage; you open daily; you can't resist without.

Trivia!

Before that, I'm sure that PF was my homepage.

PF, hotmail, memebase (lots of good lolcats), google and a crackpot forum whose link would not be allowed here :biggrin: (it's a lot of fun to read)

micromass said:
PF, hotmail, memebase (lots of good lolcats), google and a crackpot forum whose link would not be allowed here :biggrin: (it's a lot of fun to read)

Reported.

Pengwuino said:
Reported.

I don't care. Your reports are automatically deleted anyways. :biggrin:

micromass said:
I don't care. Your reports are automatically deleted anyways. :biggrin:
Ahahaha. That made me laugh.

rktpro said:
Homepage is Google.
Then I check, in this order:
email
weather
bank account
Amazon
Craigslist
Huffington Post
Physics Forums
YouTube
Netflix
etc.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
Trivia!

Before that, I'm sure that PF was my homepage.
I checked out the trivia thing and joined up. Played the Tuesday game. Thanks for the link.

slashdot for a geeky news/discussion fix
sbs.com.au for the daily (australian) news
bbc.co.uk for more news
inthemix.com.au for my electronic music discussion fix
soundcloud.com for more music
facebook for a combination of what's up with friends, music I follow, random laffs.
ted.com not quite daily, but regularly, for an interesting talk
dreamincode.net a new programming forum I found a few months ago
amazon with some regularity

oh, and PF, but I figured that was a given. I've started trawling the Earth (geology) sub-forum lately. :)

PF first.

I used to check HuffPost regularly, but since AOL has bought the site, it has become the "All Kardashian, All the Time" site, with obligatory Lady Gaga stories. It's pretty sick. Huff used to be be a good place to find stories culled from NYT, WSJ, WP and lots of other sources, and now it is loaded with crap, and has become a lot less useful.

YouTube, Facebook, G-mail, Twitter, Hack Forums - standard.

micromass said:

I bet I would see a private message from you about that! :biggrin:

Google chrome shows me my top 8 sites, in order they are;
  1. Facebook
  2. PF
  3. Youtube
  4. A blog
  5. BBC news
  6. New Scientist
  7. A fiction forum
  8. Wikipedia
And on top of that I usually always have my email up and frequently check other blogs, XKCD and (thanks to the economic climate) a variety of job/PhD websites.

igoogle (all news are there+gmail included), PF, youtube for music.
I'm addicted to the go game (KGS go server), I watch the 2 strongest go programs on Earth play with humans but it's not a website, rather a java applet or something like that.

I normally open my emails and then check out some forums (3 Fishing related, PF, 1 classic salmon fly tying forum, 2 gaming forums) Then I go and moderate another gaming forum.

Then I read the news from the BBC and then just surf the net.

Ryan_m_b said:
Google chrome shows me my top 8 sites, in order they are;
  1. Facebook

Funny Ryan, you never struck me as the Facebook type, you always seem so busy.
BTW, has FB ever caused trouble for you ? Nothing personal, maybe a funny story or two (with names made generic) about relatives or friends.

Rhody... o:)

rhody said:
Funny Ryan, you never struck me as the Facebook type, you always seem so busy.
BTW, has FB ever caused trouble for you ? Nothing personal, maybe a funny story or two (with names made generic) about relatives or friends.

Rhody... o:)
We all have our little vices :tongue2: when I'm not busy I quickly open up facebook and PF, I've only been a member of PF 11 months though so it has yet to beat the social network that I've had throughout uni.

As for facebook causing trouble...hmmm...the funniest thing I've ever done with facebook was with a friend's. We were meant to be working but he kept chatting on facebook. When he went to the toilet he locked his computer so we wouldn't frape him but left his iphone. So to teach him a lesson I used the "forgot my password" button, got a temp password sent to his email and used his iphone to read it. I then proceeded to frape him before logging out :rofl: Childish but then it was about 11 at night and we needed something to keep us going

Nobody mentions fark.com ??

Mail, PF and google.

YouTube, Facebook, G-mail and Wolfram Alpha!

I generally use lots of website daily but they are different in ..I open daily new websites..But what I daily open is G mail,Social networking sites,you tube,SIPL and other..

Well I have my mail come through to Thunderbird so no website there.

Google
PF
Amazon
Flickr
New Scientist
Wikipedia

1. What makes a website trustworthy?

A website is considered trustworthy if it provides accurate and reliable information, is well-designed and user-friendly, and has a secure connection (HTTPS) to protect sensitive information.

2. How do websites personalize content for users?

Websites use cookies and user data to track browsing behavior and preferences, allowing them to show relevant content and advertisements to specific users. They may also use algorithms and artificial intelligence to tailor content based on user interactions.

3. How can I ensure my privacy while using websites?

To protect your privacy while using websites, make sure to only share personal information on secure websites (HTTPS) and regularly clear your browsing history and cookies. You can also use virtual private networks (VPNs) to encrypt your internet connection and prevent tracking.

4. What is the difference between a website and a web application?

A website is a collection of web pages that are primarily informational, while a web application is a software program that users can interact with and perform tasks on through a web browser. Web applications often have more complex functionality and may require user accounts for access.

5. How can I identify fake news on websites?

To identify fake news on websites, look for reputable sources and fact-check information with multiple sources. Be wary of sensational headlines, biased language, and lack of author information. You can also use fact-checking websites and plugins to verify information.