What are the top IDEs for Java Database Development?

• Java
  • Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java Work
In summary, there are several good IDEs for database development work, including Atom, Netbeans, Eclipse, IBM's Websphere IDE, and MS Visual Studio. IntelliJ is also a popular option, but it may have limited support for SQL. Features to look for in a good IDE include third party plugins, SQL developer tools, and the ability to display methods and provide descriptions of arguments. Ultimately, the best IDE for database work will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Teaching myself Java programming from 0. I used some online forums. Now I would like to work, programming on my own PC, i.e., not just as a client . What are good IDEs for Database Dev work? I have been recommended Atom .

Technology news on Phys.org
Atom is mostly an editor with a lot of third party plugins that support other languages.

We use Netbeans at work. It’s a one stop shop with all essential java development tools. There are also third party plugins although offhand I don’t know of a sql plugin for database devs.

Others to look at are Eclipse, IBMs variant ie Websphere IDE based on Eclipse will have support from DB2 and sql. MS Visual Studio should have support for their product too.

Lastly, there’s IntelliJ but I’ve not used it but it too should have some support for sql

The H2Databse product, as an example, has a web based console where you can vie table contents and run queries.

This is good if you’re using java to develop a database application using jdbc and sql to do updates then use the console to check what got stored.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
What are good IDEs for Database Dev work?
What do you want to accomplish with your IDE with respect to the database? Are you looking to create and modify tables with it, display schemas, etc.? I have been using IntelliJ for over a decade. I used to use its DB tools with good results when I was working with relational databases. However, I've been working with mostly MongoDB for the last 5 years and prefer to use RoboMongo or scripts when I need to work with the data.

Likes WWGD and jedishrfu
+1 for eclipse, there used to be a TOAD plugin that was really good for oracle database development, but I have not seen that plugin lately, I think it reached it's EOL. Still, Eclipse has some SQL developer tools and if you are learning Java then it's also good for that purpose too.

Likes WWGD
I used Textpad years ago for java it worked pretty well from what I remember.

Likes WWGD
A key feature of the best IDEs is giving you a selection of methods when you type a period after an instance or a Class.

As an example, typing Math. in java will give you a list of Math supported constants E and PI and a list of static methods for trig, log, power, root, ... basic operations.

It speeds development and often gives you a brief description of the arguments to the method you selected.

Netbeans, Eclipse and IntelliJ all do this, some fancy syntax hilighting editors do not. Processing is one example where that feature is absent although I’m sure they’ll add it some day...

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and Borg
Borg said:
What do you want to accomplish with your IDE with respect to the database? Are you looking to create and modify tables with it, display schemas, etc.? I have been using IntelliJ for over a decade. I used to use its DB tools with good results when I was working with relational databases. However, I've been working with mostly MongoDB for the last 5 years and prefer to use RoboMongo or scripts when I need to work with the data.
Thanks; sorry if this is too vague, but just general application work.

WWGD said:
Thanks; sorry if this is too vague, but just general application work.
If you're not using the database portion for much more than occasionally checking a few records in the database, then any IDE will suit your needs. All of the IDEs will work with database APIs like any other Java package using imported packages and/or plugins for that IDE.

In general, I mainly write unit tests and scripts to test that the data is being processed correctly by my code.

Likes jedishrfu and WWGD

What are the best IDEs for Java Dev Work?

The best IDEs for Java Dev Work are IntelliJ IDEA, Eclipse, NetBeans, Visual Studio Code, and BlueJ.

What features should I look for in an IDE for Java Dev Work?

An ideal IDE for Java Dev Work should have features such as code completion, debugging tools, project management, version control, refactoring, and support for multiple languages.

Is it necessary to pay for an IDE for Java Dev Work?

No, there are many free and open-source IDEs available for Java Dev Work that offer similar features to paid ones. However, paid IDEs may have additional advanced features and support.

Which IDE is best for beginners in Java Dev Work?

BlueJ is considered the best IDE for beginners in Java Dev Work as it has a simple and user-friendly interface and provides a visual representation of objects and their interactions.

Can I use the same IDE for Java Dev Work on different operating systems?

Yes, most IDEs for Java Dev Work are cross-platform and can be used on different operating systems such as Windows, Mac, and Linux.