What Are the Two Values of b for Steady Precession in a Gyroscope?

• Thread starter mattyboson12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gyroscope
In summary, a special purpose fan is mounted with a combined mass of 2.2Kg and a radius of gyration of 60mm. The block A can be slid on the mounting shaft and when b=180mm, the unit is balanced about the x-axis. The motor and fan operate at 1725rev/min in the direction shown. To determine the two values of b that will produce a steady procession of 0.2rad/s about the y-axis, a free body diagram was drawn and the moment of inertia calculated as (7.92*10^-3) kgm^2. The gyroscopic force generated by the fan was found to be 0.286Nm, and the distance that the weight
mattyboson12
[Question]
Homework Statement [/b]
A special purpose fan is mounted as shown in figure Q5 (Ive attached a picture of the diagram). The motor, armature, shaft and blades have a combined mass of 2.2Kg with a radius of gyration of 60mm. The axial position of b of the 0.8kg block A can be slid on the mounting shaft. With the fan turned off, the unit is balanced about the x-axis when b=180mm

The motor and fan operate at 1725rev/min (180.6 rad/s) in the direction shown. Determine the two values of b that will produce a steady procession of 0.2rad/s about the y-axis.

[Attempt]
I have drawn a free body diagram of unit rotating due to gyroscopic forces (Attached). I worked out the moment of inertia was (60*10^-3)^2*2.2= (7.92*10^-3) kgm^2. I then worked out that the gyroscopic force generated by the fan was (7.92*10^-3)*(0.2)*(180.6)=0.286Nm. I am really confused how to work out the distance that the weight moves either towards or away from the pivot to cause this torque.

Attachments

• IMG_2581[1].jpg
    IMG_2581[1].jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_2579[1].jpg
    IMG_2579[1].jpg
    24 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
Try summing the moments about R.

Related to What Are the Two Values of b for Steady Precession in a Gyroscope?

1. What is a gyroscope?

A gyroscope is a spinning wheel or disk that is mounted on an axis and is used to measure or maintain orientation and angular velocity.

2. How does a gyroscope work?

A gyroscope works based on the principle of conservation of angular momentum. When the gyroscope is set in motion, it will maintain its orientation and resist any external forces that try to change its direction of rotation.

3. What are the applications of a gyroscope?

Gyroscopes have various applications, including navigation and orientation systems in airplanes, ships, and spacecraft, as well as in electronic devices such as smartphones and gaming controllers.

4. How accurate is a gyroscope?

The accuracy of a gyroscope depends on the quality of its construction and the precision of its sensors. Commercially available gyroscopes can have an accuracy of up to 0.01 degrees.

5. How do I calibrate a gyroscope?

Calibration of a gyroscope involves aligning it with the Earth's axis of rotation. This can be done using specialized equipment or by following specific instructions provided by the manufacturer.