What are the two ways to study literature?

In summary, there are two ways to read a book: one where the author's life and intentions are central to the narrative, and another where the author's words take on their own meanings. This concept is often discussed in literature, especially in undergraduate English courses, through terms such as historical criticism or analysis. It can be difficult to explain, but these two perspectives are both valid.
ppppparker
I mean there's one way to read a book where the author becomes all important to the narrative, (like his/her life, why it was written, the era it comes from, etc) ) and then the other way is where what the author writes has a life of its own, and takes on meanings that the author might not even have intended.
Its some common buzzword or something in literature especially in undergrad english courses, like historical criticism or analysis or something like that.
I know I am not explaining this very well but that's part of the problem. hopefully this makes sense enough that it clues you into something?? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ppppparker said:
I mean there's one way to read a book where the author becomes all important to the narrative, (like his/her life, why it was written, the era it comes from, etc) ) and then the other way is where what the author writes has a life of its own, and takes on meanings that the author might not even have intended.
Its some common buzzword or something in literature especially in undergrad english courses, like historical criticism or analysis or something like that.
I know I am not explaining this very well but that's part of the problem. hopefully this makes sense enough that it clues you into something?? thanks

Yes, those are the two ways. I have no preference.

Drunk or sober :biggrin:

1. What is the difference between close reading and literary analysis?

Close reading involves a careful and thorough examination of a single text, focusing on specific details and language used by the author. It often involves analyzing the form, structure, and style of a literary work. On the other hand, literary analysis involves a broader exploration of a text, taking into consideration its historical, cultural, and social context. It also involves interpreting the themes, characters, and symbols within a text.

2. Which method is more commonly used in academic settings?

Literary analysis is more commonly used in academic settings, as it allows for a deeper understanding and interpretation of a text within its larger context. Close reading is often used as a tool within literary analysis, but it is not the sole method of studying literature in academic settings.

3. Are there other methods of studying literature besides close reading and literary analysis?

Yes, there are other methods of studying literature such as historical criticism, feminist criticism, psychoanalytic criticism, and postcolonial criticism. Each of these approaches offers a unique perspective and can provide valuable insights into a literary work.

4. Can close reading and literary analysis be used together?

Absolutely! In fact, close reading is often used as a tool within literary analysis. By closely examining the language and structure of a text, one can gain a deeper understanding of its themes and meanings. Literary analysis also utilizes close reading to support its larger arguments and interpretations.

5. Which method is better for understanding a text's deeper meanings?

Both close reading and literary analysis can help to uncover a text's deeper meanings. Close reading allows for a close examination of the text itself, while literary analysis provides a broader context for understanding the text. Ultimately, using both methods together can provide a more comprehensive understanding of a literary work.