What are these possible heat dissipation tubes?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In the Jan 6 Economist, there is an article about energy ("Britain needs an unprecedented expansion of the electricity grid") headed by this image. I assume that it is part of a power plant but I can't figure out what all those curved tubes are.

First, I thought, maybe heat dissipation but they don't really seem to be designed for that.

Any ideas?

1704671936825.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like a movie set to me.

A HV DC transmission line converter station.

The round tubes are for corona reduction.
Faraday screens that allow cooling air to circulate.

The things inside the blocks could be rectifier diodes, making each vertical stack into a high-voltage 'stick rectifier'. They may also be high-voltage transistors or thyristors, for bidirectional DC to AC inversion.

https://new.abb.com/news/detail/129...-to-boost-integration-of-renewables-in-europe

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Rive and phinds
Thanks. So how do they work?

phinds said:
So how do they work?
How does what specifically work?

Each module in the stack is a switch that handles say 50 kV.
The switches are linked by optic fibres that turn them on and off.

The rounded tubes and surfaces prevent electrical breakdown of the air between modules, by preventing corona discharge from sharp points or thin edges.

Transformer oil immersion of the modules for cooling is avoided, due to the risk of fire. The electronics may be cooled and insulated by SF6. That may be in the tubes if they are used for cooling, but then I would expect them to be black, not silver.

Baluncore said:
A HV DC transmission line converter station.
Good thing that worker in the middle has on rubber boots and gloves! :wink:

I found a link with the same image in it. A bit more info available but it seems to be (part of?) a 1.4GW inverter for international Power exchange between UK and denmark.
Those tubes are full of AA batteries.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
I found a link with the same image in it. A bit more info available but it seems to be (part of?) a 1.4GW inverter for international Power exchange between UK and denmark.
I'm a little slow today, but which way is the energy flowing? Or can it flow in either direction depending on the relative supplies of wind, solar, etc.?

AC with different frequencies / phases each end and a DC link under the sea.No need to sunchronise the two networks and much less loss for DC. Power can be supplied in either direction in an efficient way over hundreds of miles.This has been done for decades buT this is a newer, sexier version.

Oh, so like a high-tech version of the US inter-state power grid connections? Wow.

Likes sophiecentaur
berkeman said:
Oh, so like a high-tech version of the US inter-state power grid connections? Wow.
I remember my Dad describing a system with mercury arc rectifiers as switches in the cross channel (English) to France. Dc transmission was novel in UK at the time. Probably 1960s when UK and France tended to co-operate about things.

The converter building is still called the "valve hall", because the switching modules used to have gas filled thyratrons. Nowadays, they use SiC IGBTs.

Power semiconductors are not usually operated above about half their breakdown voltage, since when subjected to cosmic rays, they are susceptible to catastrophic failure. That was recognised in 1994, when the reliability of locomotive converters, operating at high altitudes, were compared with those operating underground in salt mines.

Likes Nik_2213

1. What are heat dissipation tubes?

Heat dissipation tubes, also known as heat pipes, are components used in electronic systems and other applications to transfer heat away from sensitive parts to prevent overheating. They utilize the phase transition of a working fluid inside a sealed tube to efficiently manage heat.

2. How do heat dissipation tubes work?

Heat dissipation tubes work by exploiting the latent heat of vaporization of a liquid inside the tube. When one end of the tube, known as the evaporator, is heated, the liquid inside turns to vapor, absorbing heat in the process. This vapor travels to the cooler end of the tube, the condenser, where it releases the heat and condenses back into a liquid. The liquid then returns to the evaporator by capillary action through a wick or by gravity, completing the cycle.

3. What are the common applications of heat dissipation tubes?

Heat dissipation tubes are widely used in a variety of applications where effective thermal management is crucial. Common uses include in computer processors, high-performance GPUs, telecommunications equipment, aerospace components, and even in climate control systems to enhance energy efficiency.

4. What materials are used to make heat dissipation tubes?

Heat dissipation tubes are typically made from materials that have high thermal conductivity such as copper or aluminum. The choice of material depends on the specific requirements of the application, including thermal conductivity needs, weight considerations, and cost. The working fluid inside the tube is usually water, but in high-temperature applications, other substances like ammonia or acetone might be used.

5. What are the advantages of using heat dissipation tubes?

Heat dissipation tubes offer several advantages over other cooling methods. They are highly efficient at transferring heat due to the phase change mechanism, which allows for rapid heat transfer over relatively long distances with minimal temperature difference. They are also passive, requiring no external energy input, which makes them reliable and maintenance-free. Furthermore, they can be designed to fit various geometries, making them versatile for different applications.