What Are Your Thoughts on Homework Threads?

In summary, members of the forum have discussed the usefulness of knowing when homework needs to be submitted on homework threads. While it is important to guide students towards finding the answers themselves, this process can sometimes take a lot of time and exchanges. Knowing the deadline for the homework may help members decide whether to give a big hint or a more subtle one. However, it has been noted that many students often mention the due date in their posts, making this information readily available. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the student to communicate their deadline and the forum is not obligated to provide solutions within a specific timeframe.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Does anyone else think it would be useful to know when homework has to be submitted on homework threads?

It's well known that you learn more if aren't just given the answer but are led down a path that allows you to discover the answer yourself. However the latter can take many steps and if the OP is in a different time zone to you it might take several days of exchanges if you have to go one step at a time. I'm not suggesting we just give answers but sometimes I find myself trying to decide if I should give a big hint or one that's much more subtle and might take much longer to work through. Knowing how long the OP has to complete the problem might help with that decision.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CWatters said:
Does anyone else think it would be useful to know when homework has to be submitted on homework threads?

It's well known that you learn more if aren't just given the answer but are led down a path that allows you to discover the answer yourself. However the latter can take many steps and if the OP is in a different time zone to you it might take several days of exchanges if you have to go one step at a time. I'm not suggesting we just give answers but sometimes I find myself trying to decide if I should give a big hint or one that's much more subtle and might take much longer to work through. Knowing how long the OP has to complete the problem might help with that decision.

Thoughts?

I didn't realize that this is an issue. This is because we often see members posting for a desperate help.

"My homework is due tomorrow!" or "This is due in 3 days!"

So I don't think that they are shy in communicating that something is due soon. It doesn't mean that they'll get it that quickly, but I don't see the lack of info on such thing. On others, I would think that a member would have enough sensibility to inform the forum on his/her own that he/she needs to know something by such-and-such. Otherwise, and to be blunt, it isn't our problem.

Zz.

1. What is the purpose of having homework threads?

The purpose of homework threads is to provide a platform where students can discuss and seek help with their homework assignments. It allows for collaboration and peer-to-peer learning, which can improve understanding and retention of course material.

2. Are homework threads effective in helping students with their assignments?

Yes, homework threads can be very effective in helping students with their assignments. By having a diverse group of individuals offering different perspectives and solutions, students can gain a deeper understanding of the material and improve their problem-solving skills.

3. How can homework threads benefit me as a student?

Homework threads can benefit students in several ways. They provide a space for students to ask questions and clarify any confusion they may have about their assignments. It also allows for collaboration and can help improve critical thinking skills.

4. Is it acceptable to ask for direct answers on homework threads?

No, it is not acceptable to ask for direct answers on homework threads. Homework threads are meant to assist students in understanding the material, not to provide them with the answers. Asking for direct answers goes against the principles of academic integrity and can hinder the learning process.

5. How can I ensure that I am using homework threads ethically?

To use homework threads ethically, it is important to follow a few guidelines. First, try to solve the problem on your own before seeking help on the thread. Additionally, be respectful of others' time and contributions by not asking for direct answers. Finally, be sure to properly cite any information or assistance you receive from the thread in your final assignment.