What can be done about unhelpful teaching in physics courses?

In summary: What is your major?I am taking a course in thermodynamics for my physics undergrad. The professor does not explain concepts, he only derives equations during the lecture and introduces words without defining them. He does not assign homework and now we have an exam this week. If I read the textbook (which is his lecture notes), I am able to follow the math and see what is happening step by step, but I don't really understand anything. We never solved a problem in class. This is my first upper level physics course and I'm kind of scared. Is this what to expect from now on? Next semester I will take mathematical physics and QM.That is exactly what my professor is like
Carnivroar
I am taking a course in thermodynamics for my physics undergrad. The professor does not explain concepts, he only derives equations during the lecture and introduces words without defining them.

He does not assign homework and now we have an exam this week. If I read the textbook (which is his lecture notes), I am able to follow the math and see what is happening step by step, but I don't really understand anything. We never solved a problem in class.

This is my first upper level physics course and I'm kind of scared. Is this what to expect from now on? Next semester I will take mathematical physics and QM.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Carnivroar said:
The professor does not explain concepts, he only derives questions during the lecture and introduces words without defining them.

You shouldn't let him get away with this. As soon as he introduces a word you do not understand, your hand should be in the air.

Sounds like you just have a bad teacher. I wouldn't expect this to be the norm, but I am not at your school and I don't know the teachers. Ask around the other classes and see. If things are that dismal in many classes you may want to consider changing schools unless that would be a horrible painful process.

An advanced undergraduate physics class where there is no assigned HW? I have never seen that before.

Atleast if the class is curved then no one understands, then you won't get an F.

WannabeNewton said:
An advanced undergraduate physics class where there is no assigned HW? I have never seen that before.

Note that I'm not the OP. At my university we're not assigned homework in the sense that you must do it and then give it to the professor. Instead, the professor gives exercises to do and one is entirely free to solve them, be it entirely or partly. They are not graded; only a final exam worth 100% of the grade is, and one can expect the final exam to be either at the level of the given exercises or higher. So if you don't solve them you're basically chanceless for the final exam.
With respect to the OP, since the lecture notes are mostly taken from a particular textbook, I'm sure it would be a great idea to solve the problems in that textbook. What textbook is it by the way?

I think I might have been a little unfair in my OP... it's a physics course, not engineering, so there are no numerical problems to solve or "real world" applications to talk about.

There are no textbooks, just his lecture notes. However he said we could use them on the exam, so that's great.

Any recommendations for books? Thermodynamics by Enrico Fermi?

We are going to learn about Statistical Mechanics next. Any recommendations for that?

Carnivroar said:
I am taking a course in thermodynamics for my physics undergrad. The professor does not explain concepts, he only derives equations during the lecture and introduces words without defining them.

He does not assign homework and now we have an exam this week. If I read the textbook (which is his lecture notes), I am able to follow the math and see what is happening step by step, but I don't really understand anything. We never solved a problem in class.

This is my first upper level physics course and I'm kind of scared. Is this what to expect from now on? Next semester I will take mathematical physics and QM.

That is exactly what my professor is like in classical mechanics, except for assigned homework. Walks in, derives the equations, and we never solve problems. The closest we've gone to solve a problem was him solving the example in the book. I rarely attend his lectures, or most of my classes nowadays. I don't see what the point is of showing us what is in the books? This type of environment does not suit others like me who prefer to independently learn and hope to get further insights from the lectures. Typically, the institutions of education is not a "one-size fits all."

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It studies the behavior of systems that involve the transfer of energy as heat and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are:

1. First Law: Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.
  2. Second Law: The total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time, or remains constant in ideal cases where the system is in a steady state or undergoing a reversible process.
  3. Third Law: As the temperature of a system approaches absolute zero, the entropy of the system approaches a constant minimum.

3. What are the applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has various applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It is used to design and improve energy systems, engines, refrigeration and air conditioning, power plants, and more. It also helps in understanding the behavior of matter and chemical reactions.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of energy from one system to another due to a temperature difference. It is measured in joules or calories. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system and is measured in degrees Celsius or Kelvin.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to the concept of entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. This means that in any natural process, there is always an increase in the overall disorder or randomness of the system. Therefore, thermodynamics plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of systems in terms of entropy changes.