What can be found in the MT curves of superconductors?

In summary, the conversation is about the magnetic susceptibility vs. temperature curves of superconductors (SCs). The speaker is confused about the results obtained when fitting the data using the Curie-Weiss law in different temperature ranges. They also mention synthesizing SC samples with different Tc and ask about how to compare the susceptibility curves and what physical properties can be concluded from them. Additionally, there is a question about the fitting method and the temperature range used.
Andy Huang
I am confused about the magnetic susceptibility vs. temperature curves (or MT) of superconductors (SCs).

In the normal conduction state (I measured from 4.5K to 300K), the susceptibility curve can obey the Curie-Weiss law. But when I fitted the data via the Curie-Weiss law in a different temperature range, different results (effective magnetic moment) came out.

How should I select the temperature range in the normal state for fitting the curves with the Curie-Weiss law?

Also, I synthesized a series of SC samples with different Tc. How should I compare the susceptibility curves of SCs with different Tc? What physical properties can be concluded form those MT curves?

Physics news on Phys.org
A quick question: when you fit, how are you plotting the data? You probably already know this, but you should plot the inverse susceptibility versus temperature. The Curie-Weiss behavior is then a linear relation.

Also, what "different temperature range" did you use?

I used the fit function χ=χ0 + C/(T-θ), χ0 =χdia +χPauli = temperature independent contribution.
Taking χ0 into account, I only ploted the susceptibility vs. temperature curve. The temperature range selected for fitting is above the superconducting critical temperature, such as from 50K to 140K, resulting the effective magnetic moment 2.048μB (Fe2+). Another range from 100K to 140K gave 1.842μB.
I upload the data file and appreciate your help for checking it again.

Thanks for helping the novice.

Attachments

• susceptibility data.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 455

1. What is the MT curve of a superconductor?

The MT curve of a superconductor is a plot of the critical temperature (Tc) against the applied magnetic field (H). It shows the relationship between the two and helps to determine the critical magnetic field at which the superconducting state is destroyed.

2. What does the shape of the MT curve indicate?

The shape of the MT curve indicates the type of superconductor. For type I superconductors, the curve is parabolic, while for type II superconductors, the curve is S-shaped. The point at which the curve starts to deviate from the parabolic shape is known as the upper critical field (Hc2) and is an important characteristic of superconductors.

3. How does the MT curve change with temperature?

As the temperature of a superconductor is decreased, the MT curve shifts to higher critical magnetic fields. This is because the critical temperature decreases with increasing magnetic field strength. At very low temperatures, the MT curve becomes nearly vertical, indicating that the superconductor can withstand very high magnetic fields without losing its superconducting properties.

4. What information can be obtained from the MT curve?

The MT curve provides information about the critical temperature, critical magnetic field, and upper critical field of a superconductor. These parameters are essential for understanding the superconducting behavior of a material and its potential applications.

5. How does the MT curve differ for different superconducting materials?

The MT curve can vary significantly for different superconducting materials. The critical temperature, critical magnetic field, and upper critical field can all differ, depending on the type of superconductor and its composition. Some superconductors may also exhibit additional features in their MT curve, such as multiple transitions or a critical current density plateau.