What can be the answer for this question -- Datapath through 3 routers

In summary, the answer for the question of datapath through 3 routers is that it involves the process of data packets being routed through a series of three routers in order to reach their intended destination. This can occur in a variety of network setups and is an important aspect of data transmission and communication.
22990atinesh
Member warned about non-descriptive thread title

Homework Statement

An IP machine Q has a path to another IP machine H via three IP routers R1, R2, and R3.
Q—R1—R2—R3—H
H acts as an HTTP server, and Q connects to H via HTTP and downloads a file. Session layer
encryption is used, with DES as the shared key encryption protocol. Consider the following four
pieces of information:

[I1] The URL of the file downloaded by Q
[I2] The TCP port numbers at Q and H
[I3] The IP addresses of Q and H
[I4] The link layer addresses of Q and H

Which of I1, I2, I3, and I4 can an intruder learn through sniffing at R2 alone?

(A) Only I1 and I2
(B) Only I1
(C) Only I2 and I3
(D) Only I3 and I4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As Router works only at Network Layer (which is on top of link layer) of TCP/IP Protocol Stack. Hence option (d) seems appropriate. But correct ans is (c) how

Physics news on Phys.org
you can't encrypt the tcp numbers as they are used to rout your data. You need the host # and port # to talk to the machine after that every else can be encrypted.

jedishrfu said:
you can't encrypt the tcp numbers as they are used to rout your data. You need the host # and port # to talk to the machine after that every else can be encrypted.
@jedishrfu then what ans would you suggest.

is that possible?The correct answer is (A) Only I1 and I2.

An intruder at R2 can only see the IP addresses and TCP port numbers of the packets passing through it. The URL of the file downloaded, as well as the link layer addresses of Q and H, are not visible at the network layer. The URL and link layer addresses are only visible at the application and data link layers respectively, which are higher layers in the TCP/IP protocol stack. Therefore, the intruder can only learn the URL and TCP port numbers through sniffing at R2.

1. What is a datapath?

A datapath is a term used in computer science and networking to describe the path that data takes from its source to its destination. It is a sequence of interconnected devices, such as routers, switches, and servers, that work together to transmit data.

2. What is the purpose of a datapath through 3 routers?

The purpose of a datapath through 3 routers is to establish a connection between two networks that are not directly connected. By passing through multiple routers, the data can reach its destination even if the networks are physically separated.

3. How does a datapath through 3 routers work?

A datapath through 3 routers works by using a routing protocol, such as OSPF or BGP, to determine the best path for data to travel. Each router along the path examines the destination address of the data and forwards it to the next hop based on its routing table.

4. What are the benefits of using a datapath through 3 routers?

Using a datapath through 3 routers allows for increased network flexibility and scalability. It also improves network performance by allowing for load balancing and redundancy. Additionally, it enables communication between networks with different addressing schemes.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a datapath through 3 routers?

One potential drawback of using a datapath through 3 routers is the added complexity and potential for configuration errors. This can lead to network downtime or data loss if not properly managed. Additionally, passing through multiple routers may introduce additional latency to the data transmission.