What Can Parallax Error Tell Us About the Universe?

In summary, the conversation is about an 8th grade assignment relating Physics to Biology through the topic of Parallax error. The participants are looking for suggestions on more advanced concepts to include in their presentation. The conversation also includes a link to their current progress and a request for help.
Rayhaan Jiwani
Hello Forum,

We have an assignment due tomorrow and I need help ASAP. (I asked other forums but no one replied)
We had to relate Physics to Biology and thus we are doing something on the Parallax error. We found the basics but three slides with barely anything won't give us marks. Can you guys suggest something a little advanced (we're 8th graders) related to the Parallax error? I know you can calculate the distance of starts but that's hard to understand. Here's the link to what we've done till now. http://1drv.ms/1VWrnrE

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
Parallax seems more like geometry than physics to me, though it often comes up in physics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax
It's too complicated on Wikipedia. That's why I asked here. Please help.

1. What is parallax and how does it work?

Parallax is an optical illusion that occurs when an object appears to shift its position relative to its background when viewed from different angles. This effect is caused by the difference in the angles of the viewer's line of sight to the object. To experience parallax, move your head from side to side while keeping your eyes fixed on a stationary object. The object will appear to move in relation to the background.

2. What is the purpose of a parallax assignment?

A parallax assignment is often used in science and technology fields to help students understand the concept of parallax and how it can be used to measure distances. It also helps students develop skills in data analysis and problem-solving.

3. How can I create a parallax assignment?

To create a parallax assignment, you will need to choose a distant object (such as a star or planet) and measure its position from different locations. This can be done using simple tools such as a protractor and a ruler, or with more advanced equipment like a telescope and an astrolabe. You will then use the parallax formula to calculate the distance to the object.

4. What are some real-world applications of parallax?

Parallax has many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, surveying, and navigation. It is used to measure distances to stars and other celestial objects, to create 3D maps of land and underwater features, and to determine the position of an object in relation to a fixed point or direction.

5. How can I improve my parallax assignment?

To improve your parallax assignment, you can use more precise equipment and measurements, choose a more challenging object to measure, or incorporate other factors such as atmospheric refraction into your calculations. You can also research and include real-life examples of parallax in your assignment to make it more engaging and relevant.