What can you do with a $200 mini-PC?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary: The mini-PC has an Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Processor, 2GB DDR3 Memory, and a 160GB hard drive. The mini-PC has an Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Processor, 2GB DDR3 Memory, and a 160GB hard drive. The mini-PC has a 7-inch display and runs Windows 8.1. The mini-PC has a 7-inch display and runs Windows 8.1.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
$200 mini-PC GIMME IDEAS!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856176008

LOOK HOW CUTE IT IS! I R WANT.

What can I do with a small cheap computer like this? So far, obviously, turning it into a media center or a NAS seems like a good idea, but I was wondering what kind of 'outside of the box' ideas could I have for this little PC?

DVR?

PUT IT IN MY CAR?!??!

BUILD A NUCLEAR WEAPON FROM IT?!??!

DISCUSS!

Physics news on Phys.org

If it's heavy enough you could use it as a doorstop.

IanT said:
If it's heavy enough you could use it as a doorstop.

I'll use YOU as a doorstop.

I don't think using it as a NAS is a very good idea - it can only fit one 2.5" drive, and 1TB drives of that size are still very rare. Keep in mind if you use it as a media PC, you won't be able to decompress highly compressed media very well at all with a feeble dual-core 1.6Ghz processor.

You could certainly use it as a carputer. If you do make a nuclear weapon, better not use iTunes to do it, because that would be a violation of contract:

You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.
-iTunes EULA, section g

KingNothing said:
I don't think using it as a NAS is a very good idea - it can only fit one 2.5" drive, and 1TB drives of that size are still very rare. Keep in mind if you use it as a media PC, you won't be able to decompress highly compressed media very well at all with a feeble dual-core 1.6Ghz processor.

You could certainly use it as a carputer. If you do make a nuclear weapon, better not use iTunes to do it, because that would be a violation of contract:

-iTunes EULA, section g

lol?

Use it to make a smart house, like that made for tv disney movie.

For $250 (what it will cost with drive and memory), you can get a more powerful discontinued laptop from the usual suspects. That's about what I paid for an Athlon P320 based laptop, which is ~2x as fast. It also comes with a DVD drive.

Vanadium 50 said:
For $250 (what it will cost with drive and memory), you can get a more powerful discontinued laptop from the usual suspects. That's about what I paid for an Athlon P320 based laptop, which is ~2x as fast. It also comes with a DVD drive.
Plus, the laptop will come with a keyboard, a mouse or tracking device of some sort, and a monitor.

I don't like thick looking devices.

It's a 7" computer!

I've researched the media center and it can (supposedly) play 1080i/p movies so I think it's not that bad. I know I could do better, but I just LOVE the itty bitty size of the pc.

KingNothing said:

Yah I've seen this before :smile: :smile: :smile: . As Maddox said, "If I want to manufacture biological weapons with my copy of iTunes, I will, fascists. Ditch this ********. "

Also, a NAS would be doable because these types of PCs seem to always have eSATA ports and plenty of USB ports. What people seem to do is put a SSD in the actual computer and just hook up 2TB HDDs here and there through eSATA and USB.

I want some super cool ideas for something this small, though! I know I could get a more powerful PC here and there, but not all super small and cool like this. COME ON PEOPLE, ACT LIKE CHILDREN ALREADY!

*blank look*... It's thick.

drizzle said:
It's not just thick. It doesn't have a touch-screen or input capability. I'm not buying one.

Oh my god, that pc is so fat! Make sure the other pc's wpn't see it, or they'll make fun of him...

micromass said:
Oh my god, that pc is so fat! Make sure the other pc's wpn't see it, or they'll make fun of him...
Does this DRAM stick make me look fat?

drizzle said:

GROWL! I don't like you anymore drizzle.

Pengwuino said:
I've researched the media center and it can (supposedly) play 1080i/p movies

I doubt. I have a dual core whatever 1.7 GHz laptop (nominally 1.3 GHz, but it can be switched to turbo mode) and it doesn't play all 1080p x264 movies. I did some testing - I shot 1080p movies with EOS 7D, repacked them with Avidemux tinkering with compression level & parameters - and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It stops to work at compression levels producing artifacts that I am able to see (and my vision is not as sharp as it used to be).

Sure, a lot depends not only on processor, but also on memory and graphic card so could be in my case bottleneck is somewhere else (although with 4GB and nVidia 512 MB card it is not a particularly weak configuration).

Borek said:
I doubt. I have a dual core whatever 1.7 GHz laptop (nominally 1.3 GHz, but it can be switched to turbo mode) and it doesn't play all 1080p x264 movies. I did some testing - I shot 1080p movies with EOS 7D, repacked them with Avidemux tinkering with compression level & parameters - and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It stops to work at compression levels producing artifacts that I am able to see (and my vision is not as sharp as it used to be).

Sure, a lot depends not only on processor, but also on memory and graphic card so could be in my case bottleneck is somewhere else (although with 4GB and nVidia 512 MB card it is not a particularly weak configuration).

While 1.6ghz, even dual core, does sound ridiculous to actually achieve 1080p playback, I can't help but wonder about the feedback. Actually, the majority of the feedback is on the black versions:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856176001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856176002

It sounds like the chipset might be optimized for video decoding. This things so cheap that I actually want to try to get one just to see if it can do what it says. If not, I can imagine it can do 720 easily and that's actually what my TV is.

1. What is a $200 mini-PC?

A $200 mini-PC is a small computer that typically costs $200 or less. It is designed to perform basic computing tasks and is often used as a budget-friendly alternative to traditional desktop computers.

2. What are some potential uses for a $200 mini-PC?

A $200 mini-PC can be used for a variety of purposes, such as basic web browsing, word processing, and media streaming. It can also be used as a home server, a low-cost gaming system, or a portable computer for travel.

3. What are the specifications of a $200 mini-PC?

The specifications of a $200 mini-PC can vary, but generally it will have a lower-end processor, 2-4GB of RAM, and 32-64GB of storage. It may also have built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities, multiple USB ports, and an HDMI output for connecting to a monitor or TV.

4. Are there any limitations to a $200 mini-PC?

Yes, there are some limitations to a $200 mini-PC. Due to its lower cost, it may not have the same processing power or storage capacity as a more expensive computer. It may also not be able to handle more demanding tasks, such as video editing or graphic design.

5. Can a $200 mini-PC be upgraded?

It depends on the specific model of the $200 mini-PC. Some may have upgradeable components, such as RAM or storage, while others may not. It is important to research the specifications and capabilities of a specific mini-PC before purchasing if upgradability is a priority.