What caused the M6.3 earthquake west of Macquarie Island?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
From my seismograph this morning
M 6.3 - west of Macquarie Island
2023-10-11 20:04:57 (UTC) 52.060°S 139.590°E 4.8 km depth
This is on the Australian - Antarctic Ridge boundary, South of Australia.

1697064252098.png

The 3rd and latest M6.3 from Afghanistan can also be seen further up the seismogram.
The P wave arriving at 01:10UTC.. The origin time of the quake was 00:41:56 UT meaning that it took
some 28 minutes for the P wave to travel from the quake focus to my location in Sydney

The other smaller event after the Afghanistan event was a M5.5 from the Balleny Isl. area, in the Pacific - Antarctic Ridge

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21, Astronuc, berkeman and 1 other person
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hey Dave. Not sure if I've asked this before, but how do you determine the origin of the earthquake? Do you determine it yourself or do you reference another source?

Drakkith said:
Hey Dave. Not sure if I've asked this before, but how do you determine the origin of the earthquake? Do you determine it yourself or do you reference another source?
There are numerous sources for locating earthquakes. The USGS is one of the major, if the major, sources.
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us6000lews/executive

M 6.3 - west of Macquarie Island​

• 2023-10-11 20:04:57 (UTC)
  • 52.060°S 139.590°E
  • 4.8 km depth
That's shallow!

Likes Drakkith
Astronuc said:
That's shallow!
4.8 km certainly is shallow, the water depth there is 2.7 km.

That location is closer to me, than it is to Macquarie Is.

Astronuc's name is ... Dave?

Excuse me while I repair to high dungeon to revise my worldview..

• Haha
Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
No idea. I was talking to Davenn. Which I think I misread in my bleary-eyed state as Dave N.

Likes DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
As a place name, you should capitalise "High Dungeon".
Maybe you are in "high dudgeon" ?

Baluncore said:
Maybe you are in "high dudgeon" ?
Clutching my...
1697208693946.png

Sorry. I digress.

Likes Drakkith
DaveC426913 said:

Drakkith's question was directed to davenn, the OP. I provided an answer.

Likes DaveC426913

What is the cause of the M6.3 earthquake west of Macquarie Island?

The M6.3 earthquake west of Macquarie Island was primarily caused by tectonic activity. The region is known for the boundary between the Australian and Pacific tectonic plates, where significant geological stress due to plate movements often results in seismic events.

Is this earthquake a common occurrence in the region near Macquarie Island?

Yes, the area around Macquarie Island is prone to frequent seismic activity due to its location at the convergence of two major tectonic plates. Earthquakes of various magnitudes are relatively common as the plates interact with each other.

Can this earthquake trigger a tsunami?

An earthquake of magnitude 6.3 has the potential to generate a tsunami, particularly if it occurs undersea. However, whether a tsunami is actually triggered depends on several factors including the depth and specific nature of the earthquake, as well as the topography of the ocean floor. Authorities typically monitor such situations closely to provide warnings if necessary.

What are the potential impacts of an earthquake of this magnitude?

An earthquake with a magnitude of 6.3 can cause significant damage, especially if it occurs near populated areas. Potential impacts include structural damage to buildings, disruptions to infrastructure such as roads and utilities, and possibly injuries or fatalities depending on the population density and the effectiveness of the local disaster preparedness and response.

How are earthquakes monitored and predicted in the Macquarie Island region?

Earthquakes in the Macquarie Island region are monitored by a network of seismic stations that detect and record earth movements. These data are analyzed by geologists and seismologists to assess seismic activity. While precise prediction of earthquakes is not currently possible, historical data and patterns of seismic activity can help provide probabilistic forecasts and early warning systems to mitigate the impact on affected areas.