What Causes Gravity and Electricity to Act at a Distance Through Vacuum?

• Thread starter bobie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: In simple terms, QED explains the electrostatic force as the interaction between charged particles and photons, through the exchange of virtual particles. It also takes into account the effects of quantum mechanics on the behavior of these particles.
bobie
Gold Member
We have two main forces: gravity and electricity both acting at distance through vacuum.

This is a natural riddle, but while the electrostatic force causes no big trouble, they had to fancy relativity, spacetime curvature and recently strings to explain gravity.
I can see no difference:
I am surely missing something, can you tell me what?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bobie said:
We have two main forces: gravity and electricity both acting at distance through vacuum.
Don't forget the weak and strong interaction. They just have a shorter range where they are relevant.

This is a natural riddle, but while the electrostatic force causes no big trouble, they had to fancy relativity, spacetime curvature and recently strings to explain gravity.
Quantum electrodynamics (QED) is fancy as well. Actually, it is so fancy that general relativity was developed several decades before QED. I don't see a fundamental difference here.

Gravity is hard to integrate into a quantum-mechanical theory as it is not linear, and quantum field theory on a curved spacetime is problematic.

Likes 1 person
Thanks,
could you tell me if is there any difference in (conceptual) questions the two forces raise?
I read in an academic paper re Compton scattering that the oncoming photon makes the electron oscillate in resonation and gives it KE, can we consider electrostatic force in the same way? Can we conclude that also any charge oscillates and makes another charge oscillate?

Is string theory in the same line, regarding mass?
What is the concrete evidence behind string theory?

Last edited:
bobie said:
Thanks,
could you tell me if is there any difference in (conceptual) questions the two forces raise?
I read in an academic paper re Compton scattering that the oncoming photon makes the electron oscillate in resonation and gives it KE, can we consider electrostatic force in the same way? Can we conclude that also any charge oscillates and makes another charge oscillate?
No, electromagnetic effects are not the same as electrostatic effects. Electrostatic effects are a small subset of electromagnetic effects - if nothing moves (by definition!).

Is string theory in the same line, regarding mass?
String theory is a very speculative idea how to implement gravity in quantum field theory. It is completely different from other theories, and it is not even a proper theory (yet?) - just an idea how a theory could look like.
What is the concrete evidence behind string theory?
There is no evidence for string theory.

mfb said:
No, electromagnetic effects are not the same as electrostatic effects. Electrostatic effects are a small subset of electromagnetic effects - if nothing moves (by definition!).
Thanks,
gravity is explained by the curvature of spacetime, is it possible to say in simple words how QED explains electrostatic force?

bobie said:
Thanks,
gravity is explained by the curvature of spacetime, is it possible to say in simple words how QED explains electrostatic force?
If you find a simple way, let me know ;).

1. Why is gravity a problem?

Gravity is a problem because it affects everything on Earth and in the universe. It is the force that pulls objects towards each other, causing them to accelerate. This can lead to a variety of issues, such as objects falling, planets orbiting, and even the formation of stars and galaxies.

2. How does gravity impact our daily lives?

Gravity plays a significant role in our daily lives. It keeps us grounded on Earth, allows us to walk and run, and helps to keep our planet and the rest of the solar system in balance. Without gravity, we would float away into space and the Earth would cease to exist as we know it.

3. What are some challenges that arise from gravity in space exploration?

Gravity poses several challenges for space exploration. One of the main issues is the high amount of energy required to overcome the Earth's gravity and reach space. This requires powerful rockets and advanced technology. Additionally, the effects of gravity must be considered when planning trajectories and orbit calculations for spacecraft.

4. Can we ever completely eliminate the effects of gravity?

No, we cannot completely eliminate the effects of gravity. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present. However, we can reduce its impact by using techniques such as spacecraft orbiting and microgravity environments. These methods can create the illusion of weightlessness, but gravity is still present.

5. How does gravity affect the formation and evolution of the universe?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of the universe. It is responsible for the collapse of gas and dust clouds, leading to the formation of stars and galaxies. It also controls the movement and interactions of these celestial bodies, shaping the structure of the universe over time.