What causes light to bend when passing the edges of objects?

In summary, diffraction is a property of waves caused by the spatial truncation of the wavefront. This can be seen in the example of water waves hitting a surface with a slit, where the waves spread out in concentric circles on the other side of the surface. This also applies to other types of waves, such as sound waves, where they diffract when they encounter an object in their path. While the mechanisms for different types of waves may vary, the phenomenon of diffraction remains the same. This can be explained by the Huygens-Fresnel principle, which states that each part of the wavefront acts as a wave generator.
Please forgive my density but consider a slit:
|

|

Now magnify the slit until you see the edges
u

n
The edges of the slit actually have thickness. (I am not talking about the gap, I am referring to the thickness of the material in which the slit is cut)

Does diffraction change as the material gets thinner and thinner? In other words, is the diffraction greater if the material is thinner than the wavelength ?

Experimentally, I think it would be easier to increase the wavelength and keep the material the same, but you get the idea.

Science news on Phys.org
Of course the edges must have an effect. All real objects have depth and they produce their peculiar diffraction patterns. If you take it to an extreme, you could have two 'pipes' with light emerging and they would also have a distinct pattern - but whether you could detect the difference would be another matter. :smile:

Remember that a hologram is merely the diffraction pattern of a three dimensional object.