What Causes Oscillatory Motion in a Particle with a Constant Force?

In summary, the period of oscillation is determined by the force and amplitude of the potential energy.
Rulonegger

Homework Statement

A particle with mass m which can move only in one dimension, is subject to a constant force
[tex]F= \begin{cases}-F_{0} && x>0\\F_{0} && x<0\end{cases}[/tex] with [itex]F_{0}>0[/itex].
First I've got to say if there is a potential energy. Then i must solve the particle dynamics (i.e. find v(t) and x(t) for all t), finding the period of the oscillatory motion in terms of the mass m, the force [itex]F_{0}[/itex] and some amplitude coefficient A.

Homework Equations

Supposing that there is a potential U, it must satisfy that
[tex]\vec{F}=-\nabla{U}[/tex]
just pointing out that the potential (if it exists) shouldn't be derivable in x=0, just like the function [itex]|x|[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

When i try to write down the equations of motion, and i solve for x, i get that the position is linearly proportional to the time t plus some quadratic dependence of the time, so i don't know where the oscillatory motion comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rulonegger said:

Homework Statement

A particle with mass m which can move only in one dimension, is subject to a constant force
[tex]F= \begin{cases}-F_{0} && x>0\\F_{0} && x<0\end{cases}[/tex] with [itex]F_{0}>0[/itex].
First I've got to say if there is a potential energy. Then i must solve the particle dynamics (i.e. find v(t) and x(t) for all t), finding the period of the oscillatory motion in terms of the mass m, the force [itex]F_{0}[/itex] and some amplitude coefficient A.

Homework Equations

Supposing that there is a potential U, it must satisfy that
[tex]\vec{F}=-\nabla{U}[/tex]
just pointing out that the potential (if it exists) shouldn't be derivable in x=0, just like the function [itex]|x|[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

When i try to write down the equations of motion, and i solve for x, i get that the position is linearly proportional to the time t plus some quadratic dependence of the time, so i don't know where the oscillatory motion comes from.

It's a force just like gravity, except when you cross x=0 gravity reverses. Write down a solution for x>0 and then match it onto one for x<0.

Oscillation

Yeah, i see your comparison, but intuitively i think the motion should be like a sinusoidal function of time, but the period of oscillation is?

Rulonegger said:
Yeah, i see your comparison, but intuitively i think the motion should be like a sinusoidal function of time, but the period of oscillation is?

If you throw a ball up in the air the time it takes to come back depends on how fast you throw it. Same thing with the period of oscillation here. It will depend on the initial position and velocity. Or you could calculate it as a function of the total energy.

Last edited:

The oscillatory motion in this system comes from the fact that the particle is subject to a constant force that changes direction depending on its position. This leads to a back-and-forth motion as the particle moves from one side to the other, resulting in an oscillation. The potential energy in this system is not derivable at x=0, which means that the force is not constant and changes abruptly at that point. This discontinuity in the force causes the particle to experience a sudden change in velocity, leading to the oscillatory behavior.

To solve for the particle dynamics, you can use the equations of motion and apply the appropriate boundary conditions at x=0. The period of the oscillatory motion can be found by analyzing the time it takes for the particle to complete one full cycle, starting from one side and returning to the same side. This period will depend on the mass of the particle, the force F_{0}, and the amplitude of the oscillation A, which can be found by solving for the maximum displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position.

1. What is “weird oscillatory motion”?

Weird oscillatory motion refers to any type of motion that is repetitive and has a changing amplitude and frequency. It can also be referred to as non-harmonic or irregular oscillatory motion.

2. What causes weird oscillatory motion?

Weird oscillatory motion can be caused by a variety of factors, including external forces, irregularities in the system, and nonlinear dynamics. It can also be a result of chaotic behavior in a system.

3. How does weird oscillatory motion differ from regular oscillatory motion?

Weird oscillatory motion differs from regular oscillatory motion in that it does not follow a predictable pattern or equation. Regular oscillatory motion, such as simple harmonic motion, follows a specific mathematical relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. What are some real-world examples of weird oscillatory motion?

Examples of weird oscillatory motion can be found in many natural phenomena, such as the movement of a pendulum in a strong wind, the flapping of bird wings, or the swinging of a tree branch in a storm. It can also be observed in man-made systems, such as a vibrating guitar string or an unbalanced washing machine.

5. How can scientists study and analyze weird oscillatory motion?

Scientists use a variety of mathematical and computational tools to study and analyze weird oscillatory motion. These include differential equations, Fourier analysis, and computer simulations. They also conduct experiments to observe and measure the motion in real-world systems.