What Causes Peaks in Reflectance Graph of Polished Silicon Wafer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the peaks that appear in the graph when measuring the reflectance of silicon, and the possible explanations for their location and meaning. The participants consider the band gap, the imaginary part of the refractive index, and the voltage calculations based on the graph. They also mention the possibility of other band gaps and how they may contribute to the observed peaks.
hjelmgart
Hi all

When one measures the reflectance of say silicon, certain peaks appear in the graph. I am wondering, if anyone can explain the location of the peaks and their meaning.

Here the graph is, I hope the picture thing works, else here is the link.

Reflectivity%20of%20Silicon.png

The graph is for a polished silicon wafer.

So I have a few ideas, which could make sense in my head:

1: It is related to the band gap with respect to the transmission spectrum, however, the band gap of silicon is 1.1 eV, which is why I am confused.

I still think it could be related to the band gap, so now I am thinking, it is because the band gap may have other "paths", where it can conduct a current, but that it needs even more energy, to conduct through those gaps. But then I am confused, as the transmission is lowered at these areas..

2: It is related to the imaginary part of the refractive index, which is very high at the <500 nm wavelength. So why does the reflectance peak, when the imaginary refractive index is high?
I could understand it, as it relates to the extinction coefficient perhaps? A higher imaginary part would make a smaller penetration depth, and thus lower the transmission? But then why does it peak?

Anyway thanks for helping and merry x-mas!

Science news on Phys.org
E = h*u.
Therefore voltage = 1239.84 / (wavelength in nm)
Reading crude wavelengths from the graph and converting . . .
270 nm = 4.592 volt
360 nm = 3.444 volt
These are greater than 1.1 volt, but there are other band gaps available.
Since these differ by about 1.148 volt, I guess you have another band gap in series with the 1.1 volt gap and you are seeing the step between another level and the top or bottom of the commonly seen 1.1 volt band gap.

Likes 1 person
Thanks that is what I was thinking as well, but I wasn't very sure. The numbers do help a lot to confirm it.

1. What is a peaks at reflectance graph?

A peaks at reflectance graph is a graph that shows the reflectance of a material at different wavelengths. It is used to analyze the absorption and reflection properties of a material, and can provide information about its chemical composition and physical structure.

2. How is a peaks at reflectance graph created?

A peaks at reflectance graph is created by measuring the reflectance of a material at different wavelengths using a spectrophotometer. The data is then plotted on a graph with the reflectance values on the y-axis and the wavelengths on the x-axis.

3. What do the peaks in a reflectance graph represent?

The peaks in a reflectance graph represent the wavelengths at which the material is most reflective. These peaks can indicate the presence of certain chemical bonds or structures in the material.

4. How is a peaks at reflectance graph used in scientific research?

A peaks at reflectance graph is used in scientific research to identify and characterize materials. It can be used to study the composition of minerals, identify unknown substances, and analyze the quality of agricultural products, among other applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using a peaks at reflectance graph?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a peaks at reflectance graph. The accuracy of the graph can be affected by factors such as the type of instrument used, the surface properties of the material, and the presence of impurities. Additionally, the interpretation of the graph requires expertise and knowledge in the field of spectroscopy.