What Causes the Forbidden Gap in Semiconductors?

The Bloch functions and Brillouin zone describe the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice. Quantum dots have specific spectroscopic rules that determine their energy levels and properties. In summary, the origin of the forbidden gap is due to the lack of solutions to the Schrodinger equation, the Bloch functions and Brillouin zone explain electron behavior in a crystal lattice, and quantum dots have specific spectroscopic rules.
Arthur202
Can anybody explain my what is the origin of this forbidden gap?

I mean how it was created and what is the physics behind this issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:

There isn't a real explanation there for the phenomenon as I have asked. i didn't ask what is it.

I am also looking for a good explanations for bloch functions and beriluen zone..why we have it and what is the meaning...

And the last issue I am interested in what are the determination rules in quantum dots ( I mean spectroscopic rules)?

Arthur202 said:
There isn't a real explanation there for the phenomenon as I have asked. i didn't ask what is it.

The band gap exists because there are no solutions to the Schrodinger equation for that range of energies.

1. What is the band gap in semiconductors?

The band gap in semiconductors is the energy difference between the valence band (where electrons are bound to atoms) and the conduction band (where electrons are free to move and conduct electricity). It represents the minimum energy required for an electron to move from the valence band to the conduction band.

2. How does the band gap affect the electrical conductivity of semiconductors?

The size of the band gap directly affects the electrical conductivity of a semiconductor. A larger band gap means that electrons require more energy to move from the valence band to the conduction band, resulting in lower conductivity. On the other hand, a smaller band gap leads to higher conductivity as electrons can more easily move to the conduction band.

3. Can the band gap of a semiconductor be changed?

Yes, the band gap of a semiconductor can be changed by altering its chemical composition or through the process of doping, which involves introducing impurities into the crystal structure. For example, adding impurities with more valence electrons can decrease the band gap, while impurities with fewer valence electrons can increase the band gap.

4. How does the band gap affect the optical properties of semiconductors?

The band gap also affects the optical properties of semiconductors. Materials with smaller band gaps tend to absorb shorter wavelengths of light, while materials with larger band gaps absorb longer wavelengths. This is why semiconductors with different band gaps are used in various electronic and optoelectronic devices such as solar cells and LEDs.

5. What is the relationship between temperature and band gap in semiconductors?

The band gap of semiconductors decreases as the temperature increases. This is because at higher temperatures, more electrons are excited and jump from the valence band to the conduction band, reducing the energy required for this transition. This phenomenon is known as band gap narrowing and can significantly affect the performance of semiconductor devices.