What Causes the Formation of Plasma in a Microwave?

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating plasma in a microwave for a science fair project. The process involves putting a lighted match in a cork with a glass beaker over it and switching on the microwave. The resulting effect is a large blob of plasma in the top of the beaker. The question is whether the plasma is formed from ionized air or from the chemicals in the match head. While the Wikipedia page on plasma mentions ionized gas as the source, the conversation participants also joke about the possibility of the chemicals being involved. Ultimately, it is suggested that the plasma is formed from ionized air.
Physicist50
Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I am about to enter a local Science Fair and my project revolves around creating plasma in a microwave. This is a great experiment, all you do is stick a lighted match in a cork, (or something to hold the match in place) put it in the microwave with a glass beaker over the match and switch it on. The resulting effect is a large 'blob' of plasma in the top of the beaker. But I was wondering, when this happens is it the air surronding the match being ionised, or is it the Phosphorus and and/or Potassium Chlorate in the match head?

Thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
Well, even with my very minimal knowledge about plasma, I know that plasma is formed by ionized gas(air), nowhere in the Wikipedia page did it mention Phosphorus or Potassium Chlorate! That was a joke.. But really, I would say the air is being ionized if you truly have created plasma. My answer is probably not what you were looking for but I thought I'd give my two cents since nobody else has commented at the time I was composing this.

TheSatirist said:
Well, even with my very minimal knowledge about plasma, I know that plasma is formed by ionized gas(air), nowhere in the Wikipedia page did it mention Phosphorus or Potassium Chlorate! That was a joke.. But really, I would say the air is being ionized if you truly have created plasma. My answer is probably not what you were looking for but I thought I'd give my two cents since nobody else has commented at the time I was composing this.

Thanks TheSatirist, you probably gave about 10 cents there, not just 2

1. What is a plasma microwave experiment?

A plasma microwave experiment is a scientific study that involves the use of microwaves to heat and manipulate plasma, which is a gas-like state of matter that contains free electrons and ions. This experiment is commonly used to study the properties and behavior of plasma, which has applications in various fields such as fusion energy, space physics, and material processing.

2. How is plasma created in a microwave experiment?

In a plasma microwave experiment, plasma is created by introducing a gas, such as hydrogen or helium, into a vacuum chamber and subjecting it to a strong electric field. This electric field ionizes the gas, causing it to become a plasma state. Microwaves are then used to heat and control the plasma.

3. What are the benefits of using microwaves in a plasma experiment?

Microwaves have several advantages in a plasma experiment. They can penetrate deep into the plasma, providing uniform heating and manipulation. They also have the ability to selectively heat certain types of particles, making it easier to control the behavior of the plasma. Additionally, microwaves are non-intrusive and do not contaminate the plasma like other heating methods, allowing for more accurate results.

4. What types of information can be obtained from a plasma microwave experiment?

A plasma microwave experiment can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of plasma, such as its temperature, density, and composition. It can also reveal insights into the interactions between particles within the plasma and the effects of external factors, such as magnetic fields, on the plasma.

5. What are some real-world applications of plasma microwave experiments?

Plasma microwave experiments have a wide range of applications in various fields. They are used in fusion energy research to study and develop technologies for harnessing energy from plasma. They are also used in space physics to understand the behavior of plasma in the Earth's ionosphere and the solar wind. In addition, plasma microwave experiments have applications in material processing, such as plasma etching and surface modification, and in medical treatments, such as plasma medicine.