What Causes the Illusion of Wheels Spinning Backwards?

In summary, the wheel on a car appears to spin backwards when the car is actually traveling forward because the wheel's rotational speed is not matched with the picture frequency being displayed on television. This phenomenon can also be observed in the real world when a person is looking at the wheel of a car next to them.
Emanresu
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question, but you're a clever lot so I'm sure you'll know the answer.

We are all familiar with the illusion of the wheels on a car on television appearing to spin backwards when the car is traveling forward, this being caused by a mismatch of the picture frequency and the wheel's rotational speed.

However this phenomenon can also be observed in the real world, say, when you are looking at the wheel of the car beside you as you drive down the road.

Anyone know what causes this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, let's rule out artificial light sources. Was the light from streetlights a factor? That would cause the same shutter effect, even if it were only partially contributing to illumination.

I would secondly suspect the vibrations in your own car taking the role of "shutter".

Your eyes are continually jiggling - an involuntary reflex that your brain compensates for by subtracting this effect from the image. But if something provides an artificial jiggle, your brain can't manage to subtract the effect, and this will mimic a shutter - not enough to be noticeable, except under certain circumstances.

Try this: walk heavily in a room with a computer monitor. You may notice the screen going choppy briefly with each step. The quick vibration transmitted through your body by the impact with the ground jostles the image that your eye sees, briefly disrupting the otherwise smooth "movie" you see.

The walking thing is a real phenomenon, but I am only hypothesizing it as the expalnation of what you witnessed.

Sorry, I should have said that it was daylight with no artificial light.
I have experienced the effect you talk about but am not sure that it would be regular enough to explain what was the illusion of constant backward rotation.
I had wondered if the brain processes visual information in discreet time intervals (at a higher frequency than television ?) and so might be directly responsible ?

Thats a really interesting question. In my attempts to google for an answer, I came up with nothing. Perhaps you should post it to the Mind and Brain forum if no one here can answer it.

1. What is the illusion of wheels spinning backwards?

The illusion of wheels spinning backwards is a visual phenomenon where a rotating wheel appears to be moving in the opposite direction than it actually is. This is commonly seen in videos or movies where the wheels of a car or bicycle appear to be moving backwards even though the vehicle is moving forward.

2. Why do wheels sometimes appear to spin backwards?

This illusion is caused by the stroboscopic effect, also known as the aliasing effect. When a wheel is rotating at a certain speed, the brain may perceive the movement as slower or faster than it actually is due to the timing of visual information being received. This can cause the illusion of the wheel moving backwards.

3. What factors can affect the illusion of wheels spinning backwards?

The illusion can be influenced by various factors such as the speed of the wheel, the frame rate of the video, and the lighting conditions. A higher frame rate or brighter lighting can decrease the illusion, while a lower frame rate or dim lighting can enhance it.

4. Is the illusion of wheels spinning backwards harmful?

No, the illusion itself is not harmful. It is simply a misperception of visual information and does not cause any physical harm. However, it can be disorienting and may cause some people to feel motion sickness or dizziness.

5. Can the illusion of wheels spinning backwards be prevented?

The illusion can be minimized by using a higher frame rate in videos or by adjusting the lighting conditions. However, it is difficult to completely prevent the illusion as it is a natural phenomenon related to how our brain processes visual information.