What Causes the Transient Nature of Diodes in Semiconductor Junctions?

In summary, a pn junction diode is a type of diode that is driven by a voltage +E to -E volts preodically. When voltage is +E, current flows through the diode and when voltage is -E, current flows in reverse. The diode's behavior is transient due to the minority carrier lifetime.
hhi.rabbit
A pn junction diode is driven by a voltage +E to -E volts preodically
when voltage is +E its forward biases and vice versa.
when in forward biased a current I flows through it, now if voltage is reversed to -E, current is still I (in reverse direction). This then stay constant for a time (storage delay time) and then falls of exponentially.
now my question is
is this transient nature of diode due to diffusion capacitance or due to junction capacitance of diode

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither.

It's due to minority carrier lifetime. Although there is charge stored when the diode is forward-biased, the reverse-biased current I_r does not behave like a discharging capacitor. Rather, it is almost constant and = Q_s/T_s where Q_s is the charge stored during forward bias and T_s ("storage time") is the time I_r flows before more or less abruptly stopping. So we have

forward bias: Q_s = I_forward * T_mcl where T_mcl is the minority carrier lifetime.
reverse bias: Q_s = I_r * T_s.

thnks a lot man... :D

also please can u tell me any role of capacitance in diode..
i mean when they come into play or when their effect is seen...

Big question. Obviously, in any circuit affected by capacitance, the (reverse-biased) diode capacitance has to be considered.

One interesting example is the varactor diode, where the capacitance, being a function of reverse bias voltage, is used to tune an L-C or active circuit by varying the bias voltage.

ok thank u :smile:

The whole minority/majority arguments with their holes & electrons has always seemed rather mysterious to me.

The first thing I can add to this is to refer you to shockley's equation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P–n_diode

The other things I can point you to is to have a look at the arguments that I didn't understand which explain when conduction occurs in terms of excitation of holes (which need energy) to cross something called a band gap.

I think there is some distribution in terms of carriers which could be gaussian & the average energy of these carriers is called the Fermi-Level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_level

When you bias the diode in different ways I think the holes & electrons move around to widen & decrease the bandgap, which is significant for reasons I do not fully get.

Somehow I passed an introductory module in Semiconductor Materials without fully grasping the intricacies of crystal structures, pn- junctions, bjts & mosfets - so I can't give you a clear answer. But what I can tell you with certainty is that understanding the arguments in terms of pn junctions is the first step in terms of an understanding arguments that explain the operation of all of these devices.

Our handouts were based on a simplification of some of this book:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471143235/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I found the book impenetrable myself, but I think it might be a place to look for more answers.

I have just started studying about semiconductors.
Im really confused about all these things. :confused:
and i am trying very hard to get basics of junction :smile:
will try to get SM Sze from library..

What is the transient nature of diode?

The transient nature of diode refers to the behavior of a diode during the transition between its conducting and non-conducting states. It is the time-dependent response of a diode to a sudden change in its voltage or current.

Why is understanding the transient nature of diode important?

Understanding the transient nature of diode is important because it helps in designing and analyzing electronic circuits involving diodes. It allows engineers to predict the behavior of diodes in different scenarios and make necessary adjustments to ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.

What are the factors that affect the transient behavior of diode?

The transient behavior of diode is affected by factors such as the diode's physical properties, the voltage and current levels, and the surrounding circuitry. Other factors include temperature, aging, and manufacturing defects.

How can the transient behavior of diode be modeled?

The transient behavior of diode can be modeled using mathematical equations and circuit simulation tools. These models take into account the diode's characteristics, as well as the circuit parameters, to predict its behavior during transient conditions.

What are some common applications of diodes where understanding the transient nature is crucial?

Some common applications of diodes where understanding the transient nature is crucial include power supplies, rectifiers, and switching circuits. In these applications, the diode's response to sudden changes in voltage and current can affect the overall performance of the circuit.