What could be causing the discrepancy in Y0 when finding the placement vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity and placement vectors for a given acceleration, starting point, and starting velocity. The first integral on Ax and Ay produces Vx=2t^3-1 and Vy=-sin(0.666PI*t), which is consistent with the given starting velocity. However, when integrating a second time, Ry=1.5PI*cos(0.66PI*t) and Y0 is not equal to 0. It is determined that a constant of integration must be chosen to adjust the value of Y0. After further discussion, it is clarified that X0 and Y0 are the target figures, not the constants themselves.
devanlevin
given the acceleration
Ax=6t^2
Ay=-0.66PI*cos(0.66PI*t)
and knowing that the starting point was (0,0) and that the starting velocity was V0=(-1,0)
find the Velocity vector and the placement vector
si what i did was- 1st integral on Ax Ay getting
Vx= 2t^3-1
Vy=-sin(0.666PI*t)

which is fine and is true to the facts- V0=(-1,0)
but then, 2nd intergal, integral in Vx, Vy
and
Rx= 0.5t^4-t
which is fine, X0=0
BUT
Ry= 1.5PI*cos(0.66PI*t)
and then Y0 is not 0, i have checked and double checked and triple checked and cannot find my fault, any ideas?/

Physics news on Phys.org
devanlevin said:
Ay=-0.66PI*cos(0.66PI*t)
and knowing that the starting point was (0,0) and that the starting velocity was V0=(-1,0)

Vy=-sin(0.666PI*t)

Ry= 1.5PI*cos(0.66PI*t)
and then Y0 is not 0, i have checked and double checked and triple checked and cannot find my fault, any ideas?/

Hi devanlevin! :smile:

Whenever you integrate, you must include a constant of integration.

That constant just happened to be 0 in the other parts of the question …

but it isn't zero here … that's all! :wink:

but i did, added Vx0=-1 and Vy0=0, and isn't the constant in this case X0 and Y0, which are both 0 anyway??

Hi devanlevin! :smile:
devanlevin said:
but i did, added Vx0=-1 and Vy0=0, and isn't the constant in this case X0 and Y0, which are both 0 anyway??

ah, I see now …

No, X0 and Y0 are the "target figures", not the constants themselves.

You have to choose a constant so that Y(0) = Y0

in other words, choose C so that 1.5*π*cos(0.66πt) + C = 0. :smile:

thanks

Related to What could be causing the discrepancy in Y0 when finding the placement vector?

1. What is a placement vector and why is it important in scientific research?

A placement vector is a set of coordinates that describes the position and orientation of an object in space. In scientific research, it is important because it allows us to precisely measure and track the location of objects and their movements, which is crucial for understanding various phenomena and conducting experiments.

2. What could cause a discrepancy in the placement vector?

There are several factors that could cause a discrepancy in the placement vector, including measurement errors, environmental conditions, and technical limitations of the measurement tools. Other potential causes could include human error, incorrect calculations, or interference from other objects.

3. How do scientists determine the accuracy of a placement vector?

Scientists use various methods to determine the accuracy of a placement vector, such as conducting multiple measurements and comparing the results, using different measurement tools, and performing statistical analyses to evaluate the consistency and reliability of the data.

4. Can the discrepancy in the placement vector be completely eliminated?

It is highly unlikely that the discrepancy in the placement vector can be completely eliminated. Even with advanced measurement tools and techniques, there will always be some degree of error or uncertainty in the data. However, through careful calibration and validation processes, scientists can minimize the discrepancy and ensure the accuracy of their results.

5. How can discrepancies in the placement vector affect scientific conclusions?

Discrepancies in the placement vector can significantly impact scientific conclusions and lead to incorrect or misleading results. This is why it is crucial for scientists to carefully consider and address any discrepancies in their data before drawing conclusions and making claims based on their findings.