What Dimensions Are There (in Physics) ?

In summary, physicists use dimensions to describe the properties of a space. The most commonly accepted dimensions are 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4-dimensional, representing a point, line, flat plane, object with depth, and 3-dimensional with time, respectively. However, in string theory, there are potentially 11 dimensions, with 7 of them being "curled up" and not easily observable. The number of dimensions used in physics depends on the specific theory being applied.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

I am curious about how many dimensions there are in physics. My physics teacher responded with '10 or 11'.

-1 dimension: ?
0th dimension: Fixed point
1st dimension: Line
2nd dimension: Flat plane
3rd dimension: Object with depth on a flat plane.
4th dimension: 3-dimensional with time
5th dimension: ?
6th dimension: ?
7th dimension: ?
8th dimension: ?
9th dimension: ?
10th dimension: ?
11th dimension: ?

I've tried googling it, but couldn't find any good answers...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I never thought about negative dimensions!

Anyway, you can think about the number of dimensions as how many numbers you need to represent a point in that space uniquely.

So, for a two dimensional space, to specify a point, I would need two numbers (lets say, x and y). You can probably see how this is generalized.

EDIT: As for answering your question... It depends on the physics you are doing. Physicists use anywhere from zero to infinite dimensions.

Okay... so are 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4-dimensional universally accepted by physics? Are those the only dimensions universally accepted?

James Leighe said:
EDIT: As for answering your question... It depends on the physics you are doing. Physicists use anywhere from zero to infinite dimensions.

I believe he means spatial/time dimensions

Pengwuino said:
I believe he means spatial/time dimensions

In the standard model there are four.

The 10 to 11 dimensions your professor was talking about is from string theory, an (incomplete) contender for the theory of everything.

String theory predicts 11 dimensions:

1. Up/Down
2. Forward/Backward
3. Left/Right
4. Time
5-11: Kaluza-Klein "curled up" dimensions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaluza–Klein_theory

This is the easiest explanation I could find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWGb-pIAQ-E

1. What is the definition of dimensions in physics?

Dimensions in physics refer to the measurable physical quantities that are necessary to describe and understand the behavior of objects in the physical world. These dimensions include length, mass, time, electric current, temperature, and luminous intensity.

2. How many dimensions are there in physics?

There are four dimensions in physics: length, mass, time, and electric current. These are known as the fundamental dimensions and they form the basis for all other physical quantities.

3. Are there any other dimensions besides the four fundamental ones?

In addition to the four fundamental dimensions, there are also derived dimensions that are combinations of the fundamental dimensions. For example, velocity is a derived dimension that is measured in length per time.

4. How are dimensions represented in equations?

Dimensions are represented in equations using symbols such as L for length, M for mass, T for time, and I for electric current. These symbols are used to indicate the units of measurement for each dimension.

5. Why are dimensions important in physics?

Dimensions are important in physics because they allow us to mathematically describe and understand the physical world. They provide a framework for measuring and analyzing physical quantities and for predicting the behavior of objects.