What direction does a compass point to in a magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discussed a lab experiment involving a compass and a wire with an electrical current. When the current was turned off, the compass aligned itself with the wire, and when the current was turned on, the compass needle moved in the direction of the magnetic field produced by the current. The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule, and the terms "North" and "South" poles refer to the direction of the magnetic field lines. The concept of a North or South pole is historically based on the behavior of magnetized objects, but it is an arbitrary convention. The force exerted on a magnet in a magnetic field is actually a torque, not a force, and it is created by a couple of
Notaphysicsmajor
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello

Today we did a lab and one of the activities was having a compass underneath a wire while the current was off. The wire was straight so that it was directly aligned to be with the needle of the compass. One the current was flowing, the compass arranged itself in that it was not exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the wire, but pretty close.

To help visualize the set up pretend that the wire was horizontal and the current was moving from left to right. The needle would then move once then current was moving. From what I understand is that magnetic field lines move inward toward with the south end, and outwards from the north end. Can someone clarify to me what these north and south ends are, my guess is that it would be a magnet? Also when a current is turned on, which of the needles on the compass is pointing in the direction of the magnetic field produced by the current on the wire?

Physics news on Phys.org
The needle of a compass is a magnet. If a magnet is in another magnetic field, a force which tries to align the two fields is exerted. This is a standard experiment. It is easily googled. I still remember it in high school Physics class. To give you a hint, the right hand rule will tell you which way the magnetic field is around a current carrying conductor.

It's not a magnet, but an electromagnetic field, generated by the electrons in the wire. there is a right-hand rule to find the direction of the field. here's a picture below
download2.jpg

To elaborate on what @Tenebris said, the very long wire has "North" and "South" poles all the way to infinity. More realistically, the distance at which you put your needle sensor is much smaller than the length of the wire. The needle lines up with the magnetic field, locally, so that if you imagine an arrow with its tail at the "south" pole of the needle and its tail at the "north" pole of the needle, the arrow will point in the direction of the magnetic field.
scottdave said:
If a magnet is in another magnetic field, a force which tries to align the two fields is exerted.
I assume you meant to say "a torque is exerted". A force will accelerate the center of mass of the magnet.

What do we mean by a North or South pole? Historically it's to do with the fact that a 'magnetised' rod / needle will align itself in a N/S direction. The North SEEKING pole* (with the red paint on or the letter N) will point roughly towards the Earth's North Pole and the South SEEKING pole will point in the opposite direction. The field can often be described in terms of lines of force and, where the lines of force are close together (e.g. at the ends of a bar magnet) is called a Pole. But these lines have no ends; they form a closed curve, passing down inside the magnet and coming out of the other pole as well as spreading out and joining the poles outside. An electric current flowing through a straight wire produces circular field lines and a compass will point its N end in the direction of the field - as shown in the picture above. We could have chosen any direction for the conventional field direction but magnets were first used in conjunction with the Earth's poles so we say that lines of force go from the Earth's South Pole to the Earth's North pole because that's the way the N on a bar magnet points. (A kind of circular argument but it's consistent and it's basically an arbitrary choice.)
* I was not listening to that bit when first told about this in school and was confused for a long time because I missed out the word "seeking" in my mind.

kuruman said:
I assume you meant to say "a torque is exerted". A force will accelerate the center of mass of the magnet.
Yeah, a 'couple' of forces, actually. Force in one direction at the North end, and in the other direction at the South, creating a torque. Nice catch.

Last edited:

What direction does a compass point to in a magnetic field?

A compass points towards the Earth's magnetic north pole.

Why does a compass point to the magnetic north pole?

A compass needle is a magnet that aligns itself with the Earth's magnetic field, which is generated by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's core.

Can a compass point to the true north pole?

No, a compass points to the magnetic north pole which is different from the true geographic north pole. The difference between the two is called magnetic declination and varies depending on location.

What happens if you bring a compass near a magnet?

The compass needle will align itself with the magnetic field of the nearby magnet, causing it to point in a different direction than it would in the Earth's magnetic field.

Does the direction of a compass change over time?

Yes, the Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing and the magnetic north pole can shift over time. However, the change is gradual and not noticeable in daily use of a compass.