What do electric and magnetic fields look like around a dipole antenna?

In summary, the person is studying Maxwell's equations and dipole antenna. They are trying to understand the electric and magnetic fields around the antenna and what direction they are expected to be in. They also inquired about a video or pdf that would provide more images or information on this topic.
Nate Duong
I am studying to about maxwell's equations on the electric and magnetic field.

First of all, just do the example and exercise: https://www.princeton.edu/ssp/josep...ide-to-maxwells-equations-D.-FleischLEISC.pdf

I have this dipole antenna: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/1204.html and trying to understand what are electric and magnetic field look like around dipole antenna? and what direction do I expect for the electric field to be in distance d? and if I have 2 same antennas, 1 is right next to me and another is 6km away, what do you expect to see the one in 6km away? I assume the distance between I and the dipole antenna is d.

If anyone has good video link or pdf link in detail what those fields look like, that would be nice, I would like to have more visualization by video or images.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Does this help?

Felder_um_Dipol.jpg

Likes AlexCaledin, davenn and Nate Duong
Drakkith said:
Does this help?

View attachment 196985

It is helped, but for the visualization.
Do you have any information (links, or book) in detail for this topic? if I have 2 same antennas, 1 is right next to me and another is 6km away what direction do I expect for the electric field to be in distance d? and what do you expect to see the one in 6km away?

Sorry, I don't have any in-depth references for you. :frown:

Nate Duong said:
It is helped, but for the visualization.
Do you have any information (links, or book) in detail for this topic? if I have 2 same antennas, 1 is right next to me and another is 6km away what direction do I expect for the electric field to be in distance d? and what do you expect to see the one in 6km away?
I think they are getting at the idea that the lines are not curved when considered over the dimensions of a typical antenna at a great distance.

Likes Nate Duong
tech99 said:
I think they are getting at the idea that the lines are not curved when considered over the dimensions of a typical antenna at a great distance.
As a matter of interest, Hertz published his idea of field lines in one of his papers, and they are reproduced in Antennas by J D Kraus. I am not certain that the pictures correctly show the induction fields close to the antenna.

Likes Nate Duong
tech99 said:
As a matter of interest, Hertz published his idea of field lines in one of his papers, and they are reproduced in Antennas by J D Kraus. I am not certain that the pictures correctly show the induction fields close to the antenna.
Thank you for more information.

1. What is a dipole antenna?

A dipole antenna is a type of radio antenna that is composed of two conductive elements, typically wires, that are aligned parallel to each other and are connected to a transmitter or receiver. It is one of the most common types of antennas used for radio communication.

2. How does a dipole antenna create electric and magnetic fields?

A dipole antenna creates electric and magnetic fields through the flow of alternating current. When the antenna is connected to a transmitter, the current flows back and forth between the two conductive elements, creating an oscillating electric field and a perpendicular magnetic field around the antenna.

3. What do electric and magnetic fields look like around a dipole antenna?

The electric and magnetic fields around a dipole antenna form a pattern that resembles a figure-eight. The electric field is strongest at the ends of the antenna, while the magnetic field is strongest in the middle. The fields are in phase with each other, meaning they reach their maximum and minimum values at the same time.

4. How do the electric and magnetic fields change with distance from the dipole antenna?

The strength of the electric and magnetic fields decreases as you move farther away from the dipole antenna. The rate of decrease is determined by the inverse-square law, which states that the intensity of the fields decreases proportionally to the square of the distance from the source.

5. What factors can affect the shape and strength of the electric and magnetic fields around a dipole antenna?

The shape and strength of the electric and magnetic fields around a dipole antenna can be affected by the length and orientation of the antenna, the frequency of the current, and the surrounding environment. Additionally, the presence of other objects or antennas nearby can also alter the shape and strength of the fields.