What do Engineering Physics majors do when they graduate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Engineering Physics major and its potential career paths. It is mentioned that many graduates go on to study a master's in either Engineering or Physics, but it is unclear if this is a requirement. The purpose of the degree is also questioned, with the possibility of pursuing further education or seeking a career without additional schooling. The conversation ends with a request for general information on the topic.
HectorViruega
I'm very interested in the Engineering Physics major, however I'm not sure what people with this degree do after university.

I've heard that a large portion of people who graduate from Engineering Physics go on to study a master's on either Engineering or Physics. Is thus true? Would Engineering Physics allow me to pursue further education in either field? Or would studying "half and half" limit what I can study in gradschool?

If I don't go on to seek further education, what is the main purpose of the career as a whole? What can I do with just the degree?

I know it varies from school to school, but I was hoping I could get some general information.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.google.com/search?q=enigineering+physics+major&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

1. What career options are available for graduates with a degree in Engineering Physics?

Engineering Physics graduates have a variety of career options available to them, including working in research and development, consulting, manufacturing, and engineering design. They can also pursue careers in fields such as renewable energy, aerospace, electronics, and medical technology.

2. Do Engineering Physics majors typically find jobs in engineering or physics?

It depends on the individual's interests and career goals. Some may choose to work in engineering roles, while others may pursue careers in physics-related fields such as research or academia. The interdisciplinary nature of Engineering Physics allows for a wide range of career opportunities in both engineering and physics fields.

3. What skills do Engineering Physics majors develop during their studies?

Engineering Physics majors develop a strong foundation in both engineering and physics principles, as well as skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and technical communication. They also gain hands-on experience through laboratory work and projects, as well as proficiency in computer programming and design software.

4. Can Engineering Physics majors pursue graduate studies in engineering or physics?

Yes, Engineering Physics majors can pursue graduate studies in both engineering and physics. Some may choose to continue their studies in a specific branch of engineering, such as electrical or mechanical engineering, while others may pursue graduate degrees in physics, such as a Master's or Ph.D. in a specialized field of physics.

5. How does a degree in Engineering Physics prepare students for a career in the tech industry?

Engineering Physics provides students with a strong foundation in both engineering and physics principles, as well as hands-on experience with technology and computer software. This combination of skills and knowledge makes Engineering Physics majors well-equipped for careers in the tech industry, where they can work in areas such as research and development, product design, and technical consulting.