What do students usually struggle with in Calculus I and II

In summary, the conversation discussed the application process for a tutoring position at a math learning center and the common struggles students face in calculus. The primary issues mentioned were algebra, trigonometry, and arithmetic skills, as well as anxiety and difficulty with logarithms. The importance of reviewing prerequisite material, such as Calc 2, was also emphasized.
anonymity
I am applying for a tutoring position at my schools math learning center, and part of the application process is a little examination based on questions which tend to be asked by students visiting the center.

I am just curious what the biggest issues for students tend to be so that I can do a little bit of review (I didnt really have any major issues in any of the intro calc sequences, so can't really say for sure what I had a problem with. I can of course speculate, but that's it) -- I ask what people generally struggle with because these are the things most likely to show up.

thanks in advance
anonymous

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the america education system, so I can't help directly. However, I would suggest looking through the Homework forums and seeing which topics appear most frequently.

I would say optimization/related rates, the single variable volume integrals, trig subs, integration by parts and series. Probably a few more but those are what comes to mind.

It has been many years since I tutored in mathematics, but my recollection is that what gave students the most trouble on a day-to-day basis was plain old algebra: multiplying, dividing, and factoring polynomials, simplifying radicals, completing the square-- etc. Or the dreaded partial fractions. Of course, maybe your students are better prepared.

I second awkward's sentiments. I taught calculus for many years, both the watered down "business" calculus course, the 3 semester standard course, and even the awful "reformed" version. While you will encounter some students actually having trouble with the calculus concepts, far and away the greater number will have difficulties because of inadequate algebra, trigonometry, and even arithmetic skills.

Now the primary schools are dropping cursive writing. But I digress..don't get me started.

Okay, thanks for chiming in everyone.

When I talked to the person who runs the center she said it was more just to see what applicants remember; but a quick run-over couldn't hurt.

Thanks again

as someone who had to drop and retake precalculus twice (my how far I've come) I can tell you from experience that the number 1 thing I struggled with was just plain old anxiety. I would know how to work problems fine, but for some reason whenever I walked in the classroom I started sweating a lot and thinking how this one test will make or break my entire career. Thinking waaaay toooo far down the road.

The second biggest problem I had was with logarithms. I just didn't have a clue how to approach them. I lucked out because the guy that taught my GMAT prep course (yes, business school was the plan, but after watching other MBA grads be unemployed just like me without the degree, I stopped half way through and decided to add two more undergrad degrees. I seriously think a BS in math is worth more than an mba, depending on what school its from) had a phd in pure math from nyu. He helped a lot. Other than that, I'd recommend making sure that they spend a lot of time in calc 2. For some reason it was a lot harder than calc 3 for me.

anyways, hope that helps and sorry for my ramblings. Four cups of joe will do that.

i agree with awkward. it is the prerequisite material that is missing 99% of the time.

Related to What do students usually struggle with in Calculus I and II

1. What are the most difficult topics for students in Calculus I and II?

Some of the most challenging topics for students in Calculus I and II include differentiation, integration, and applications of these concepts to real-world problems. Many students also struggle with understanding the fundamental theorem of calculus and its applications.

2. Why do students often have trouble with Calculus I and II?

Calculus involves a high level of abstract thinking and requires students to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. Many students struggle because they have not fully mastered these prerequisite skills.

3. How can students overcome difficulties in Calculus I and II?

Students can overcome difficulties in Calculus I and II by seeking help from their professors, teaching assistants, or tutors. It is also important for students to practice regularly, complete all assignments, and ask questions when they do not understand a concept.

4. What study strategies can help students succeed in Calculus I and II?

Some effective study strategies for Calculus I and II include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, practicing regularly, and seeking help when needed. Students should also review their notes and textbook regularly and actively participate in class discussions and activities.

5. What resources are available to help students with Calculus I and II?

Most universities have tutoring centers, study groups, and office hours with professors or teaching assistants specifically for Calculus I and II. Additionally, there are many online resources such as practice problems, video tutorials, and interactive quizzes that can help students better understand and master the material.