What do the numbers on a capacitor mean?

In summary, 225 represents a lot ID for a Panasonic aluminum capacitor with a capacitance of 330 uF and a voltage rating of 33V. The "PC" designation indicates that it is a polymer cap. The "4" at the bottom may refer to a tolerance level. The data sheet for this capacitor does not provide information on how to interpret the "R. Capacitance" designation.
MisterX
The numbers seem to read
PC
What does it mean? Someone told me
"225 = 22 x 10^5 pF = 2.2 μF"
with 330 V being the potential rating
"PC" = polymer cap
Is this correct?
oj7S2Ke.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
MisterX said:
The numbers seem to read
PC
What does it mean? Someone told me
"225 = 22 x 10^5 pF = 2.2 μF"
with 330 V being the potential rating
"PC" = polymer cap
Is this correct?
oj7S2Ke.jpg
yes 2.2uF

it's an electrolytic

I think you will find its 33 D

33V and the D will be a tolerance

I can absolutely, utterly, beyond all shadow of a doubt, guarantee it isn't 330 VDave

davenn said:
yes 2.2uF

it's an electrolytic

I think you will find its 33 D

33V and the D will be a tolerance

I can absolutely, utterly, beyond all shadow of a doubt, guarantee it isn't 330 VDave
I think maybe this is a Panasonic aluminum capacitor, the first number is lot ID. I think it might be 330 uF similar to these
http://www.reichelt.de/Elkos-SMD-Lowest-ESR-PXA-SVP/SVP-330-16/3/index.html
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/2R5SVPE330MY
Data sheet
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/315/AAB8000C179-944382.pdf
Unfortunately I think I already ordered the wrong parts. The data sheet at least tells us what each row means but doesn't tell us how to interpret "R. Capacitance"

My attempts to actually measure the capacitance have failed (my meter showed 41 nF I believe).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, good call, looks like I was mistaken :smile:
that top row is the lot #

MisterX said:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/2R5SVPE330MY
MisterX said:
but doesn't tell us how to interpret "R. Capacitance"

well that's easy ... it's a general electrolytic type, the capacitance is in uF ... you won't find that style in pF or nF

so 330uF

I just don't see how to relate the bottom line "4" to the voltage rating tho ??Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I determine the capacitance value of a capacitor?

The capacitance value of a capacitor is typically indicated by a code printed on the capacitor. This code may consist of numbers, letters, or a combination of both. You can use a capacitor code chart to decipher the code and determine the capacitance value.

2. What is the difference between capacitance and voltage rating of a capacitor?

Capacitance refers to the amount of charge that a capacitor can hold, while voltage rating refers to the maximum amount of voltage that a capacitor can withstand. A capacitor with a higher capacitance value can hold more charge, while a capacitor with a higher voltage rating can handle higher voltages without breaking down.

3. How can I identify the polarity of a capacitor?

Electrolytic capacitors have a polarity, meaning they have a positive and negative terminal. The positive terminal is usually longer and marked with a "+" sign, while the negative terminal is shorter and marked with a "-" sign. Ceramic capacitors, on the other hand, do not have a polarity.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when identifying capacitors?

Yes, it is important to always discharge a capacitor before handling it, as it can still hold a charge even when disconnected from a circuit. It is also important to wear safety gloves and goggles when handling high-voltage capacitors to avoid any potential electrical shocks.

5. Can I use a multimeter to identify a capacitor?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to identify the capacitance value and voltage rating of a capacitor. Set the multimeter to the capacitance setting and touch the probes to the capacitor terminals. The multimeter will display the capacitance value, and by switching to the voltage setting, you can also check the voltage rating.