What do these two symbols mean?

In summary, the symbols in question are the tensor product and direct sum, which are operations commonly used in the field of mathematics. However, their specific meanings may vary depending on the context, and they are usually associated with matrices or vector spaces.
isefGUY
I was looking into a set of equations, and came across two different symbols that I'm not familiar with what do they mean? One looks like an "X" inscribed in a circle and the other was an addition sign in scribed in a circle. Again, what do they mean?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Where did you come across these symbols? Although the meaning of many symbols are universal, some may depend on the context.

What you're referring to seems like the operations of a field, for example - http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Field.html. If it is so, the 'x in a circle' is called multiplication and the + is known as addition, although these need not always represent the multiplication and addition that we use in our daily lives.

I don't remmber the exact site, but it seems like it was talking about tensors.

It could be tensor products. But I'm not well-versed in tensors, so I'll leave this up to someone who know tensors well.

isefGUY said:
I was looking into a set of equations, and came across two different symbols that I'm not familiar with what do they mean? One looks like an "X" inscribed in a circle

As neutrino has suggested, this is indeed the tensor product. It's fairly simple to write down for matrices, and they do so here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_product

and the other was an addition sign in scribed in a circle. Again, what do they mean?

This is the direct sum of two modules. This may be in your linear algebra book, but it would be known as the direct sum of two vector spaces. This is just a special case of the direct sum of modules, as a vector space over a field F is just an F-module.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_sum

Related to What do these two symbols mean?

What do these two symbols mean?

This is a common question in science, especially when working with data or equations. The two symbols could represent any number of things, so it's important to provide context.

Can you explain the meaning of these symbols in this specific context?

It's important to provide context in order to understand the meaning of symbols. Depending on the context, the symbols could represent variables, units, or mathematical operations.

Are these symbols used universally or do they have different meanings in different fields of science?

Some symbols may have universal meanings, such as the symbol for pi in mathematics, while others may have different meanings in different fields. It's important to clarify the field of science in which the symbols are being used.

Can you show me the equation or data set that these symbols are a part of?

Sometimes, seeing the symbols within the larger context of an equation or data set can help clarify their meaning. It's important to provide visual aids when explaining the meaning of symbols.

Is there a resource or reference guide that lists the meanings of common symbols in science?

There are several resources and reference guides available that list the meanings of common symbols in science. These can be helpful in clarifying the meaning of symbols in a specific field of science.