What do we learn from eclipse that the NASA IRIS doesn't tell us?

• NASA
  • Thread starter FactChecker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse Nasa
In summary, Uncle Donald is excited about the IRIS program because it gives us a better look at the sun's corona.
FactChecker
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
2023 Award
What can we learn from a solar eclipse that the NASA IRIS program doesn't tell us? (and why)

Physics news on Phys.org
That even someone like uncle Donald is interested in the former -- while probably having no idea what the heck is the latter :smile: ?

BvU said:
That even someone like uncle Donald is interested in the former -- while probably having no idea what the heck is the latter :smile: ?
It's the NASA program that gives us many of those detailed photos of the sun. https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasas-sun-observing-iris-mission
I know very little about it. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_Region_Imaging_Spectrograph:
The Interface Region Imaging Spectrograph (IRIS) is a NASA solar observation satellite. The mission was funded through the Small Explorer program to investigate the physical conditions of the solar limb, particularly the chromosphere of the Sun.
I can't help thinking that all they would have to do to get better information than the brief 3 minute eclipse gives us would be to photograph from IRIS with a mask blocking the sun like a permanent eclipse.

256bits said:
That's very interesting. There is obviously a lot going on to study the Sun's corona that does not depend on an eclipse. That leaves me still wondering if there is anything more to learn about the corona during a solar eclipse. I can understand that there might be a lot to learn about the Earth's reaction to an eclipse (temperature change, animal behavior, etc.). But there seemed to be a lot of scientists being interviewed in the news about what they would learn from the eclipse about the corona. That puzzles me. Maybe they just talk about the corona because it makes such beautiful pictures during an eclipse.

FactChecker said:
That leaves me still wondering if there is anything more to learn about the corona during a solar eclipse.

probably not since the solar corona is under 24 hr, 365 day surveillance
as a result, anything that occurs in the corona is well documented
FactChecker said:
But there seemed to be a lot of scientists being interviewed in the news about what they would learn from the eclipse about the corona

that's a pretty vague statement :wink: ... maybe the wrong scientists were being interviewed ... do you have any further info ?

Dave

Likes FactChecker
Obligatory xkcd reference:

eclipse_science.png

Likes 1oldman2, stoomart, FactChecker and 2 others
davenn said:
that's a pretty vague statement :wink: ... maybe the wrong scientists were being interviewed ... do you have any further info ?
That's true, it's pretty vague. Unfortunately, I did not pay enough attention and do not remember what they said.

Uncle Donald is so excited he let his limited imagination loose on tweettweet .
Forgot that this way he reperesents the moon when Obi is the sun !

Likes FactChecker
BvU said:
Uncle Donald is so excited he let his limited imagination loose on tweettweet .
Forgot that this way he reperesents the moon when Obi is the sun !
Oh! Now I get who Uncle Donald is. I thought he was an astronomy expert on this forum. :>)

Likes BvU

1. What exactly is an eclipse?

An eclipse is a phenomenon that occurs when one celestial body passes into the shadow of another. In the case of a solar eclipse, the Moon passes between the Earth and the Sun, blocking the Sun's light from reaching the Earth's surface. In a lunar eclipse, the Earth blocks the Sun's light from reaching the Moon.

2. How often do eclipses occur?

Eclipses occur approximately two to four times per year, though not all of them are visible from every location on Earth. The frequency of eclipses is dependent on the alignment of the Sun, Moon, and Earth.

3. What can we learn from eclipses?

Eclipses provide scientists with valuable information about the Sun, Moon, and Earth's orbit and relationship to one another. For example, analyzing the changes in the Sun's corona during a solar eclipse can help us better understand the Sun's magnetic field and how it affects our planet. Additionally, observing lunar eclipses can provide insights into the Earth's atmosphere and the composition of its shadow.

4. How does NASA's IRIS contribute to our understanding of eclipses?

NASA's IRIS (Interface Region Imaging Spectrograph) is a spacecraft that was specifically designed to study the Sun's chromosphere, which is the layer of the Sun's atmosphere just above the visible surface. By observing the chromosphere during eclipses, we can compare the data collected by IRIS to the changes in the Sun's atmosphere during the eclipse. This helps us better understand the dynamics of the Sun's atmosphere and how it is affected by eclipses.

5. Is it safe to look directly at an eclipse?

No, it is not safe to look directly at an eclipse without proper eye protection. The Sun's intense light can cause serious damage to your eyes, even during a partial eclipse. It is important to use proper eyewear or watch the eclipse indirectly by projecting it onto a surface. NASA provides guidelines for safely viewing eclipses on their website.