What do you do when writing a dissertation and research papers conflic

In summary: Textbooks are a great resource, but you should always be checking to make sure the information in them is up-to-date. If there are any discrepancies, you can investigate them further and try to find a resolution.In summary, Conflict can occur when papers suggest different theories about the same phenomenon. It can be a little or a lot depending on the inputs and physical dependencies. It's important to consult with a supervisor when encountering a conflict, as they can help to guide you in the right direction.
rwooduk
conflict?

I'm currently starting to write a dissertation for my 3rd year project and wondering if someone could give me some advice?

I'm finding published research papers that conflict each other, obviously up until now I have taken them and anything in textbooks as gospel. But now I'm in the situation where different papers suggest different theories and in numerous cases are conflicting each other WITH either their own experimental evidence or some mathematical derivation which proves their case mathematically.

So, what do I do? How do you decide (without doing your own experimental research) which is correct? Or do you just kind of summarise each theory and describe how they differ from each other?

Thanks for ANY hints / advice on this!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not unusual to find conflicting papers.
Review the sources the papers cite - one or more of them could just be wrong, or the conflict may be superficial.
Look for other papers which cite the ones with the conflict - someone else has probably already vetted them for you.
Look carefully through experimental papers - you need to look for problems with the experiments.
The more clear the paper is, the less likely there is to be something wrong with it.

You don't have to pick which is "right" - that's not really your job - but you do want to avoid using bad research as support for your main points.

You may need to acknowledge any conflict in the research in your dissertation.
Your supervisor will be able to guide you.

Bottom line: consult your supervisor.

rwooduk said:
<snip>different papers suggest different theories and in numerous cases are conflicting each other WITH either their own experimental evidence or some mathematical derivation which proves their case mathematically.
<snip>!

Welcome to the practice of science- it's messy. What you describe is exactly *why* additional work should be performed, so I somewhat confused by what your "3rd year project" entails. Does it not require not actual work to try and distinguish the different hypotheses?

rwooduk said:
conflict?

I'm currently starting to write a dissertation for my 3rd year project and wondering if someone could give me some advice?

I'm finding published research papers that conflict each other, obviously up until now I have taken them and anything in textbooks as gospel. But now I'm in the situation where different papers suggest different theories and in numerous cases are conflicting each other WITH either their own experimental evidence or some mathematical derivation which proves their case mathematically.

So, what do I do? How do you decide (without doing your own experimental research) which is correct? Or do you just kind of summarise each theory and describe how they differ from each other?

Thanks for ANY hints / advice on this!

This is actually a great opportunity for some real work on your part. I'm not sure if it's your job to figure out which is the correct one, but a discussion of the conflicts themselves can be an invaluable contribution to whatever field you're looking into.

For example [person 1] in [paper 1] suggests that [something something], althought [person 2] in [paper 2] has evidence that contradicts this notion. Possible reasons are [yadda yadda].

As far as mathematical proof, you can't mathematically *prove* two conflicting things. It just isn't possible. So there is something else going on, possibly some sloppy math, or the understanding of the science.

Andy Resnick said:
Welcome to the practice of science- it's messy.

Pretty sure this applies to all research. :biggrin:

One will often find models/theories describing the same physical phenomenon, and there will be some disagreement. It could be a little or a lot depending on the inputs and physical dependencies.

I've seen discrepancies in experimental work and theoretical work, and often there was something that was overlooked or not yet understood. This is often the case with older experiments and models, since during one or more decades, we learn more and discover what was previously unknown or not understood.

One then can compare one's work with the previous and indicate where one supports or is consistent with previous work, and where one disagrees, and why there might be disagreement, and how such as disagreement can be reconciled.

Much scientific work is incomplete or partially complete because there is always new things we discover, or we just don't know it all yet - if ever.

Oh and one more thing:

rwooduk said:
I have taken them and anything in textbooks as gospel.

You'll want to stop doing that.

1. What is a dissertation and why is it important?

A dissertation is a lengthy and in-depth research paper that is typically required for a doctoral degree. It is important because it allows individuals to demonstrate their knowledge and expertise in their chosen field of study.

2. How do you choose a research topic for a dissertation?

Choosing a research topic for a dissertation involves identifying a gap in existing research, considering your personal interests and strengths, and consulting with your advisor. It should also be a topic that is feasible to research and contributes to the overall body of knowledge in your field.

3. What is the difference between a dissertation and a research paper?

A dissertation is a comprehensive research project that is typically required for a doctoral degree, while a research paper is a shorter and more focused study that is often required for a master's or undergraduate degree. Dissertations also require original research and contribute new knowledge to the field, while research papers may synthesize existing information.

4. How do you manage conflicting ideas or findings in your research?

Conflicting ideas or findings in research can be managed by critically evaluating the evidence and arguments presented, consulting with your advisor or peers, and considering alternative explanations. It is important to remain objective and open-minded when dealing with conflicting information.

5. How do you ensure the validity and credibility of your research?

To ensure the validity and credibility of your research, it is important to use reliable and reputable sources, follow ethical guidelines, and clearly explain your research methodology. Peer review and feedback from your advisor can also help improve the quality of your research.