What do you picture in your head when you think about spacetime?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concept of spacetime and the four-dimensional continuum in relation to relativity. There is confusion about the inclusion of the "ct" component in the space-time interval, and its significance in representing the distance light can travel in a given time period. Some possible explanations are offered, such as viewing the equations without the "c" term and using coordinates where c = 1.
jeebs
Hi,
I'm trying to learn stuff for my relativity module, and it goes on about spacetime and the 4-dimensional continuum and four-vectors and all that business. I am having trouble imagining whatever it is I am supposed to picture when people talk about this.
Take this thing, i believe its called the "space time interval", ds = (ct,x,y,z) (is this called a Minkowski interval or something?).
Obviously its easy to imagine what the x,y,z part looks like, but then you've got this ct part.
It's clearly a velocity multiplied by a time, so it has dimensions of length and matches the x,y,z part in that respect. What is this ct part actually supposed to represent or tell us though - the distance light can travel in some time period t.
Why do we include this extra (zeroth, i think it gets called?) coordinate?
Which direction is this distance supposed to point, if this makes sense to ask?
Why, if we are using a velocity-time product, has the speed of light been chosen?

I don't even think I've asked this question very well... I'm just going through some notes we were given in class, and all I have been doing for the past couple of days is blindly following the maths through them without really understanding its significance.

Can anyone offer anything that might make me less confused?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jeebs! :wink:

What I picture in my head is all the equations without "c" in them, and time being just a length dimension.

So (ct,x,y,z) becomes just an ordinary vector, (t,x,y,z), with all components measured in the same units, so that for example you can rotate them however you like. :smile:

(And cosmologists tend to use coordinates in which c = 1 anyway)

1. What exactly is spacetime?

Spacetime is a fundamental concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is the framework in which all physical events occur and is used to describe the relationship between objects in the universe.

2. Can we see or visualize spacetime?

No, we cannot see or visualize spacetime in the traditional sense because it is a mathematical concept. However, we can use models and diagrams to represent and understand the concept of spacetime.

3. How does spacetime affect objects and their motion?

Spacetime is curved by the presence of mass and energy, and this curvature affects the motion of objects in the universe. The more massive an object is, the greater its curvature of spacetime, and the more it affects the motion of other objects around it.

4. Can spacetime be warped or manipulated?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, spacetime can be warped or manipulated by the presence of mass and energy. This is known as the curvature of spacetime and is responsible for the effects of gravity.

5. Does spacetime have an end or boundary?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that spacetime has an end or boundary. In fact, it is believed to be infinite and continuous, stretching out into the far reaches of the universe. However, our understanding of spacetime is still limited, and this question remains a topic of ongoing research and exploration.