What do you want to be? Question

• Thread starter munky99999
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulties of explaining the concept and purpose of being a physicist and mathematician to friends and relatives who are not familiar with the subjects. The participants share their experiences and suggestions for handling these situations, with humorous anecdotes and references to famous mathematicians. Overall, they agree that pursuing education and knowledge is a worthwhile endeavor, regardless of the confusion it may cause to others.
As a joke goes:

/*Physics Class

As a premed student at Washington University in St. Louis, I had to take a
difficult class in physics. One day our professor was discussing a
particularly complicated concept. A student rudely interrupted to ask
"Why do we have to learn this irrelevant stuff?"

"To save lives." the professor responded quickly and continued the
lecture.

A few minutes later, the same student spoke up again. "So how does
physics
save lives?" he persisted.

"It helps keeps the idiots like you out of medical school," replied the
professor.
*/

Every science field (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc) are interrelated and intervowen with mathematical principles and fundumental laws of nature and economics. By various mixes of sciences with practice you get engineering fields, medical doctors, various researchers and scifi writers. It isn't important what 'sociology, english, etc' majors think about you if you are majoring in mathematics. There is only one fundumental language and society of laws out there, written in math, and presented in various sciences. Study all the things you want and at the end if you study hard enough you'll enjoy the education you get as it expands your mind and makes you more perceptive of your surroundings

Physics news on Phys.org
well that's not true really.

Fluid dynamics which is physics directly relates to how blood flows through the veins.

Lots of things in physics made medicine possible.

Although most of the time, physics is to keep out lesser people.

Again I don't want a doctor who got the bare minimum 55% When we can make it so its 95% minimum.

Still I just don't understand how I like physics so much. I have worked out my motivation, but I am not exactly going the best route to do it.

You see my motivation is interesting. I'm a trekker as you could say. I'm very interested in making and studying devices which star trek inspires. Sonic Shower, Transporter, forcefields, tractorbeam, orbital tethers.

In the last year or so I read in the paper of people of someone attempting to build an orbital tether. I also live near the great lakes and I also read that Canada is making a "Huston" on the great lakes. With that X-plane thing succeeding in like september also, makes it very interesting right now.

I'm only at the beginning of my education though. I expect I will be studying whatever the proffessors or whoever chooses what you will research.

Once I have a lot of experience or PHD or whatever it takes to choose myself. I would study Sonic showers. I think that would be a huge hit. Especially for the space station and such. No waste of water only energy is required.

which is better machatronics or nano technology? in your opinion

somebody?

Last edited:
well as for job security, i'd go nanotechnology. FRom what I hear is mechatronics is way to full and chances are they will be cutting alot.

Nanotechnology has a lot of promise and not a while lot done as of yet. So if you were to start school now for one of them, i'd goto to University of Toronto and study nanotech. I believe that's where they wanted me to go. It was some other place in like hamilton or niagra falls for mechatronics. But simply i don't have the money to be going anywhere.