What does an accelerometer measure?

In summary, an accelerometer measures proper acceleration, which is the actual acceleration felt by an object. In the case of dropping a phone, it has coordinate acceleration with respect to non-inertial coordinates, but not with respect to inertial coordinates. However, its proper acceleration remains zero regardless of the chosen coordinates.
greypilgrim
Hi

I'm confused about what an accelerometer actually measures. I downloaded an app that reads out the data of the accelerometer in my phone in all three dimensions. If I lay it flat on a table, it says something around 9.81 in the z direction and something around zero in the x and y directions. If I drop it (and record the data), the acceleration is about zero in all three directions.

This somehow makes sense since one feels weightless when in free fall. But still, the phone is only accelerated in the second case, and shouldn't an accelerometer measure acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
I'm confused about what an accelerometer actually measures.

An accelerometer measures proper acceleration; that is, the acceleration actually felt by an object. This can be thought of as the weight the object feels, divided by its (assumed constant) mass.

greypilgrim said:
This somehow makes sense since one feels weightless when in free fall.

Exactly. And, conversely, one does feel weight when standing at rest on the surface of the Earth (or lying on a table). That's why an accelerometer gives a nonzero reading in the latter case, but not the former.

greypilgrim said:
he phone is only accelerated in the second case

This is a different kind of acceleration, called "coordinate acceleration", and your experiment is a nice illustration of why the term "proper acceleration" was invented: you can't always feel coordinate acceleration, so we need a separate term to describe the kind of acceleration you can always feel, and which an accelerometer measures.

In relativity, in fact, coordinate acceleration is considered to be a convention, something you can change just by choosing different coordinates, not a direct observable. For example, when you drop your phone, it has coordinate acceleration with respect to (non-inertial) coordinates in which you, standing on the floor, are at rest; but it does not have coordinate acceleration with respect to (inertial) coordinates in which the phone is at rest. But it has zero proper acceleration regardless of which coordinates you pick--you can't change the accelerometer reading just by choosing different coordinates.

What does an accelerometer measure?

An accelerometer measures the acceleration of an object, which is the rate of change of its velocity over time. In simpler terms, it measures how quickly an object is speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity, while velocity is the rate of change of an object's position. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object's speed or direction is changing, while velocity measures how fast and in what direction the object is moving.

What are the units of measurement for accelerometers?

Accelerometers typically measure acceleration in units of meters per second squared (m/s²) or in terms of gravitational acceleration (g). Other common units include feet per second squared (ft/s²) and centimeters per second squared (cm/s²).

How does an accelerometer work?

An accelerometer works by using a small mass attached to a spring or piezoelectric material. When the object moves, the mass also moves, causing the spring or piezoelectric material to compress or expand. This change in motion is then converted into an electrical signal, which is measured and used to determine the acceleration of the object.

What are some common applications of accelerometers?

Accelerometers have a wide range of applications, including in smartphones for screen rotation and step tracking, in video game controllers for motion sensing, in cars for airbag deployment, in airplanes for navigation and flight control, and in sports equipment for tracking performance and technique.