What does coupling mean in physics?

In summary: This is the best i could do on short notice.In summary, "coupled" is used to describe two or more objects that have a correlation. It is not a rigorous definition, but it is the best that I could do on short notice.
luke m
I am reading Carroll’s Spacetime and Geometry, and I have seen the word “coupled” used multiple times in seemingly different ways. I have gotten the sense that it means some sort of interaction between particles, but Carroll refers to coupling between matter fields and the curvature of spacetime. Furthermore, these are said to to not be directly coupled, even though they are related by Einstein’s equation. I have also seen “coupled” used in the context of coupling constants, entanglement, and forces in the early universe. Is there a rigorous definition for this word?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Two fields are coupled when, in the action, they appear multiplied to each-other in some way. The equations of motion then indicate that the EOM of field A also involves field B.

The other way around: if fields are decoupled, they live "along each other without noticing each-other".

Likes Imager and luke m
luke m said:
I am reading Carroll’s Spacetime and Geometry, and I have seen the word “coupled” used multiple times in seemingly different ways. I have gotten the sense that it means some sort of interaction between particles, but Carroll refers to coupling between matter fields and the curvature of spacetime. Furthermore, these are said to to not be directly coupled, even though they are related by Einstein’s equation. I have also seen “coupled” used in the context of coupling constants, entanglement, and forces in the early universe. Is there a rigorous definition for this word?

haushofer said:
Two fields are coupled when, in the action, they appear multiplied to each-other in some way. The equations of motion then indicate that the EOM of field A also involves field B.

The other way around: if fields are decoupled, they live "along each other without noticing each-other".
I thought the "common denominator" was lightlike or closer stuff. But apparently "coupled" was used in the context of "entanglement". I think "coupled" much like entanglement, is used poetically in said contexts.

As i understand it two or more variables are considered to be coupled whenever they are described by simultaneous equations.

luke m said:
Is there a rigorous definition for this word?

Say any two objects (particles, fields, quantum states, etc.) of the same caterory or other, have a correlation, they are coupled. Please take care it is just my interpretation, not the definition of the term.

1. What is the definition of coupling in physics?

Coupling in physics refers to the interaction between two or more physical systems. It describes how these systems affect each other and can be used to understand the behavior of complex systems.

2. How does coupling affect the behavior of systems?

Coupling can have a significant impact on the behavior of systems. It can lead to synchronization, resonance, or even chaos in some cases. The strength and type of coupling between systems can determine their overall behavior.

3. What are the different types of coupling in physics?

There are several types of coupling in physics, including mechanical, electrical, magnetic, and thermal. Each type of coupling describes a specific type of interaction between systems, such as physical contact, electromagnetic fields, or heat transfer.

4. How is coupling measured in physics?

Coupling is measured using various parameters, depending on the type of coupling being studied. For example, mechanical coupling can be measured using force or displacement, while electrical coupling can be measured using voltage or current.

5. Can coupling be both positive and negative?

Yes, coupling can be either positive or negative, depending on the direction and strength of the interaction between systems. Positive coupling occurs when two systems enhance each other's behavior, while negative coupling occurs when they inhibit each other's behavior.