What does dark beer taste like?

• Thread starter AchillesWrathfulLove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, pale ales are light in color and are usually less bitter than darker beers. Bitters are a type of beer that is light in color and less bitter than other beers.
AchillesWrathfulLove
What does dark brown beer or maybe even black beer taste like? Not really a fan of beer as I only drink to get wasted and I prefer something sweet like a vodka cruiser that comes in fruity flavors. I have tasted light beers, you know the yellow colored ones but haven't tasted the darker selection. What does it taste like and why is darker in color than regular beers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maintain close proximity to at least a ..somewhat usable toilet.

Likes russ_watters
And why is that my friend?

AchillesWrathfulLove said:
What does dark brown beer or maybe even black beer taste like? Not really a fan of beer as I only drink to get wasted and I prefer something sweet like a vodka cruiser that comes in fruity flavors. I have tasted light beers, you know the yellow colored ones but haven't tasted the darker selection. What does it taste like and why is darker in color than regular beers?
There are many types. Some taste like chocolate, some like coffee, etc. Why not go to a brewpub and try a flight(a bunch of 2-3 oz. samples) of a variety of beers? Everyone's tastes are different, and describing a taste doesn't do it justice. Maybe you'll find you like some.

Likes symbolipoint
Dark beers have a wide variety of tastes, aromas, and body. As for color it can come from roasting the grain see https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-12/beersci-how-beer-gets-its-color

Why ask, try them. There is no accounting for taste. Go to craft brewhouse and buy a sampler usually four to six three or four ounce classes of their various brews. Dark beers tend to have more flavor. I personally prefer hoppy IPA ales and dark beers with distinct flavors and even rauchbeir quite the opposite of light beers so commonly advertised these days.

Likes pinball1970, russ_watters and symbolipoint
Dark beers are made from the same grains other beers are made from - wheat, rice, etc. with barley malt. Roasting imparts flavor and color, due to caramelization of simple carbohydrates. This is one way to make a brown beer. Black beers, like porter and stout, often have coffee and/or pure cacao (chocolate) added. And any "legal" food color additive, even stuff like green food coloring on St Patrick's Day (March 17) in the US may be used.

@gleem 's IPA has a high bitterness (IBU) from hops (as isohumulones). You can see IBU values for beers posted on the wall in some stores. Brown beers often have a very high IBU from hops, black beers are usually just as bitter from both hops and the bitterant coloring agents.

Apparently gleem's favorite started out as an attempt to cover up or prevent "rotten beer":
https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/55095/what-does-india-have-to-do-with-india-pale-ale/

I interviewed at Coors Brewing years ago. They were a large beer brewing company in the US. Part of the interview process was determining if I was a beer taster or not. I was a beer taster. I hate beer. Most beer tasters hate the stuff. They extract samples of each batch of beer. Then they sell only batches of beer that can pass an organoleptic test for a range of flavors including bitterness.

Here is a possible explanation of why beer "tasters" hate beer:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/people-and-culture/food/the-plate/2014/09/30/are-you-a-supertaster/

Likes russ_watters and BillTre
jim mcnamara said:
I interviewed at Coors Brewing years ago. They were a large beer brewing company in the US. Part of the interview process was determining if I was a beer taster or not. I was a beer taster. I hate beer. Most beer tasters hate the stuff. They extract samples of each batch of beer. Then they sell only batches of beer that can pass an organoleptic test for a range of flavors including bitterness.

So what beer do they sell, the one the taster likes or the one that he doesn't.

Years before craft breweries the only way I could get dark beer in the US was Lowenbrau on draught at certain restaurants or once a year in the spring when some breweries made bock beer. Then I found that Millers routinely made a dark beer but sold only by the keg. Not a problem just got an old refrig. drilled a hole in the door for a spigot and one in the side for the CO2 bottle and it was good for five physics grad students for a month.

Now I will always go out of my way for a good pint of Bitters
"... Pale ale and bitters are closely entwined, now and historically, and for some 200 years or more in Britain, were essentially one and the same. Today they are often distinguished solely by method of dispense. There is something about bitters’ affable profile; bright ale perfectly suited to lively conversation, unencumbered by abrasive edges, yet bold, expressive and flavorful enough to draw us to the draught. Hops up front with enough malty backbone and yeast character to offer some personality is what defines a great bitter. Add to that the freshest and most natural offering from a well-kept cask, and you will experience a pint of perfection."
from http://allaboutbeer.com/article/bitter-ale/

Don't listen to the fancy-shmancy beer sommeliers and their elaborate lies. Dark beer tastes like liquid bread. Sometimes they add some herbs and spices to it, but it's still bread. Dark, tough bread. The kind you'd eat hunter's stew with.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/how-beer-saved-the-world/

I don't drink but this is interesting.

@gleem the beer that passes the taste test. Guess I wan't clear.

jim mcnamara said:
@gleem the beer that passes the taste test. Guess I wan't clear

Yes but what are you tasting for? I was always under the impression that the taster liked or appreciated their product. Are you judging consistency?

Finally something I can speak about with some authority.

Ditch the Vodka , Dark beers are great, just avoid anything that has the word “Imperial” or “dessert” in it.

Until you get broken in that is.

Good cities to look for this stuff? Vermont, Brussels and Manchester.

What does dark brown beer or maybe even black beer taste like?
It's hard to explain what something tastes like. As others have suggested, why don't you see for yourself?

Not really a fan of beer as I only drink to get wasted and I prefer something sweet like a vodka cruiser that comes in fruity flavors.
From the "I only drink to get wasted" remark I conclude that you are either very young or a budding alcoholic.

I have tasted light beers, you know the yellow colored ones but haven't tasted the darker selection.
I assume you mean "light-colored" beers such as lagers and pilseners and some ales. "Light" beer (AKA "Lite" beer) is typically beer with fewer calories (and less alcohol content).

Here in the US, IPAs (India Pale Ales) are very popular, not to say trendy, but I have no idea why this is. They are made with extra hops, which makes them bitter. My understanding is that they were brewed this way to be able to survive the long voyage from England to India without going bad. Personally I like stout, a very dark beer, and Scotch Ale, which to me tastes similar. Porter looks similar to stout, but I like the taste of stout (or Scotch Ale) much better, as the porter tastes somewhat bitter to me.

Dark beers taste much like non-dark beers; darker, better,richer, and like said, maybe a little roastier because of the caramelization from the roasted barleys used. Now-days, you can find them anywhere that beer and ale are sold: grocery store, liquor store, pub, bar.

Likes pinball1970

1. What is the flavor profile of dark beer?

Dark beer typically has a rich, malty flavor with notes of caramel, chocolate, and sometimes coffee. It may also have a slightly bitter or roasted taste.

2. Is dark beer sweeter or more bitter than light beer?

This depends on the specific type of dark beer. Some dark beers, such as stouts and porters, tend to be more bitter due to their high hop content. Others, like brown ales, can have a sweeter taste due to the use of caramel or chocolate malts.

3. What is the difference between dark beer and light beer?

The main difference between dark beer and light beer is the type of malt used. Dark beer is made with roasted malts, which gives it a darker color and richer flavor. Light beer, on the other hand, is made with lighter malts and often has a lighter, crisper taste.

4. Does dark beer have a higher alcohol content?

Not necessarily. While some dark beers, such as imperial stouts, can have a high alcohol content, others may have a similar alcohol content to light beers. It ultimately depends on the specific type and brand of beer.

5. Can you pair dark beer with certain foods?

Yes, dark beer can be a great pairing with certain foods. Its rich, complex flavors can complement dishes like grilled meats, stews, and chocolate desserts. However, it's always a matter of personal preference, so feel free to experiment and find your own perfect pairings!