What does E(nergy) = m(ass) (times c^2) mean?

• I
  • Thread starter sayetsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertial mass and its relation to energy. The possibility of converting matter into energy and the role of nuclear bombs in this process is also mentioned. A recommendation for two videos that explain the concept of E=mc² is provided.
sayetsu
I know m isn't matter; it's inertial mass, but I don't know what that means or how it "equals" energy. I've never found an explanation I understood, so I thought I'd try asking here. Matter can be converted to energy, though, right? That's how nuclear bombs work, or hydrogen bombs...my recollection's a little fuzzy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you not find a good explanation on line?

It means that a body of rest mass ##m## releases energy ##E## if converted to some form without rest mass (e.g. gamma radiation). Or alternatively that energy ##E## contributes ##m## to the mass of some system in its rest frame.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
Hi Sayetsu

There are literally hundreds of videos you can find; the challenge is finding the "good" ones - which will differ for most people depending on background etc

Based on your question I would try these two (in this order)
Special Relativity (E = mc2) Explained A Four minute reminder of what you asked

Why E=mc² is wrong An extra 6 minutes that either reminds you / tells you that there's a bit more to the formula that doesn't often get discussed.

1. What is the meaning of E=mc^2?

E=mc^2 is a famous equation proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity. It states that energy (E) is equal to the mass (m) of an object multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared.

2. How did Einstein come up with the equation E=mc^2?

Einstein derived this equation by combining his theory of relativity with the principles of electromagnetism. He realized that energy and mass are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.

3. What does the speed of light have to do with E=mc^2?

The speed of light (c) is a fundamental constant in the universe and it plays a crucial role in the equation E=mc^2. It represents the maximum speed at which energy can travel and is a key factor in understanding the relationship between energy and mass.

4. Can you give an example of how E=mc^2 is applied in real life?

One practical application of E=mc^2 is in nuclear reactions, such as nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons. In these reactions, a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy, as predicted by Einstein's equation.

5. Is E=mc^2 the same as the law of conservation of energy?

No, E=mc^2 is not the same as the law of conservation of energy. The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. E=mc^2, on the other hand, shows the relationship between mass and energy and how they can be converted into one another.