What does FL represent in the drag coefficient equation?

In summary, the equation apparently I got it from NASA's website states that:CD = FL/ (0.5 * Air viscosity * V^2 * Area) = 0.4.
sam_smk
So I did a project about a year ago and I can't remember one of the things I wrote in this equation.

The equation apparently I got it from NASA's website.
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/dragco.html

This is my equation

CD = FL/ (0.5 * Air viscosity * V^2 * Area) = 0.4These are the numbers I used to plug in the equation

Velocity = 13 m/s

Diameter pipe = 0.000635 m

Air viscosity = 0.00001599 kg/m*s

FL = 1*10^-9 Kg <<< this is the problem

Area of Dust = 1.96 * 10^-11 Microns

Now in NASA's website instead of FL there's a "D" and it says the "D" represents the drag.

Now I can't remember what (FL) means, is it truly a drag? and a drag of what exactly.

My project was about compressed air moving inside a small tube, and the tube has pinched hols in it to pump the compressed air to clean a surface from dust.

SO, can someone tell me what the "FL" that I wrote means? and what exactly does the number FL = 1*10^-9 Kg represent? Could it be "air drag??" I am not sure where I found this number.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you sure that your equation used viscosity? That looks an awful lot like a situation where it should be density. With viscosity, your units don't work out. As for what "FL" means, I have no idea. Typically, if it was a lift coefficient, then "FL" would be the lift force and that would be density on the bottom.

The equation I know for calculating air drag force is:
F = 0.5 * rho * Cd *A * v^2

rho = air DENSITY
Cd = coefficient of drag
A = cross section
v = speed in m/s

From this I get for Cd:
Cd = F / (0.5 * rho * A * v^2)

Comparing to your equation:
CD = FL/ (0.5 * Air viscosity * V^2 * Area) So I think you used air density, no air viscosity.

I suspect you were using a pipe equation, not an aircraft drag coefficient equation - I hope. That would be more applicable to a flow through a small tube. In pipe head loss equations, f is the friction coefficient, and L is the Length. At least a pipe head loss equation might have something to do with the flow through a small tube, which the drag coefficient calculation for an airplane really doesn't. I'm not sure how it reduces to anything like you have though.

head loss = f L v^2 / 2 D g

D = diameter
L = length
f = friction coefficient
g = gravitational accleration

http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/pipe-valve-fitting-flow/flow-in-pipes.php

What is the drag coefficient equation?

The drag coefficient equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the amount of air resistance, or drag, experienced by an object moving through a fluid, such as air or water. It takes into account the shape and size of the object, as well as the fluid's properties such as density and viscosity.

Why is the drag coefficient important?

The drag coefficient is an important factor in understanding the aerodynamics of an object. It helps engineers and scientists design vehicles, buildings, and other structures that move through air or water more efficiently. It is also used in predicting the performance of athletes, such as cyclists and swimmers.

How is the drag coefficient measured?

The drag coefficient can be measured through wind tunnel experiments, where the object is placed in a controlled airflow and the amount of drag is measured. It can also be calculated using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, which use mathematical models to simulate the flow of fluids around an object.

What factors affect the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient is affected by the shape and size of the object, the speed at which it is moving, the properties of the fluid, and the surface roughness of the object. For example, a streamlined shape will have a lower drag coefficient than a flat and wide shape.

Can the drag coefficient be reduced?

Yes, the drag coefficient can be reduced through various methods such as changing the shape or surface texture of the object, using streamlined designs, and optimizing the fluid flow around the object. This can result in improved efficiency and performance for vehicles and other structures.