What does fraction of G mean? (SI units)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the constant acceleration in SI units for a car to go from zero to 71.0 mph in 13.0 seconds. The answer is 2.44 m/s^2 and it is also asked what fraction of g (acceleration due to gravity) this acceleration is. The correct answer is not 9.81/acceleration or acceleration/9.81, but rather the fraction multiplied by g equals the acceleration.
Kalie
I have search my gigantic physics book everywhere for this but I can't seem to find it...does anyone know what it means

Seee the problem is
What constant acceleration, in SI units, must a car have to go from zero to 71.0 mph in 13.0 s? I solved that it was 2.44 m/s^2
but then it askes What fraction of g is this?
I have know clue what that means except it is post to be a percent...
please explain what g means

Physics news on Phys.org
g is acceleration due to gravity, 9.81 [itex] \frac m s [/itex]

Thank you so much

Integral said:
g is acceleration due to gravity, 9.81 [itex] \frac m s [/itex]
[tex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

Can someone explain HOW to solve it?
I understand that g=gravity=9.81. So what now? How do it solve the fraction?
I know it is not 9.81/acceleration or acceleration/9.81...

Well since g * fraction = a, what does that tell you about your fraction?

Related to What does fraction of G mean? (SI units)

What does fraction of G mean?

The fraction of G refers to a value expressed as a part of the standard gravitational acceleration on Earth, which is represented by the symbol "G". This value is often used in scientific calculations and measurements related to gravitational force.

What are SI units?

SI units, or the International System of Units, are a standardized system of measurements used in science and engineering. They were established by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures and are based on seven base units, such as meters for length and kilograms for mass.

How is fraction of G calculated?

The fraction of G is typically calculated by dividing a specific value of gravitational force (such as weight) by the standard gravitational acceleration on Earth (9.8 meters per second squared). The resulting value is often expressed as a decimal or a percentage.

Why is fraction of G important?

Fraction of G is important in scientific research and engineering because it allows for more precise calculations and measurements related to gravitational force. It also helps to standardize and compare data across different experiments and studies.

What are some common applications of fraction of G?

Fraction of G is commonly used in fields such as physics, astronomy, and aerospace engineering. It is often used to calculate the weight of objects on different planets or in outer space, as well as in simulations and experiments involving gravitational force.