What does it mean to find the centroid of a shape?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding the centroid of shapes and how it is calculated using the distribution of mass over the x and y-axis. It is also mentioned that for some shapes, the centroid may lie outside the boundaries and that it is not the point where all the mass is concentrated. The centroid can be thought of as a balance point for the object. A helpful presentation on the topic is also provided.
CivilSigma
Hello,

I am currently studying how to find the centroid of shapes. And I understand that to find the location of the centroid, we must analyze the distribution of the mass over the x and y-axis (i.e calculating Qx and Qy).

However what baffles me is that, given an L shaped beam, the centroid does not necessary need to lie on the mass itself? I thought the centroid was the location where all the mass is concentrated.

How does it make sense that , say the force of gravity, acts outside the shape?

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
sakonpure6 said:
Hello,

I am currently studying how to find the centroid of shapes. And I understand that to find the location of the centroid, we must analyze the distribution of the mass over the x and y-axis (i.e calculating Qx and Qy).

However what baffles me is that, given an L shaped beam, the centroid does not necessary need to lie on the mass itself? I thought the centroid was the location where all the mass is concentrated.

How does it make sense that , say the force of gravity, acts outside the shape?

Thank you !
Yep, for some shapes, the centroid will lie outside the boundaries of the shape.

The centroid is not the point where all the mass is concentrated; it is the point through which all the resultant forces of gravity acting on each particle will act.
The centroid can be thought of as a "balance point" for the object.

http://www.iitg.ernet.in/rkbc/me101/Presentation/L16-18.pdf

Likes CivilSigma
Thank you very much for the attached presentation! It is so well done.

What is the centroid of a shape?

The centroid of a shape is the geometric center or balance point of the shape, where all the mass of the shape is evenly distributed.

Why is finding the centroid important?

Finding the centroid of a shape is important because it helps determine the shape's stability, balance, and structural integrity. It is also useful in engineering and architecture for calculating the center of gravity and determining the distribution of forces.

How is the centroid of a shape calculated?

The centroid of a shape is calculated by finding the average of all the points in the shape. For 2-dimensional shapes, it can be found by dividing the sum of the x-coordinates by the number of points and the sum of the y-coordinates by the number of points. For 3-dimensional shapes, the process is similar but includes the z-coordinate as well.

Does every shape have a centroid?

Yes, every shape has a centroid, even irregular and asymmetrical shapes. However, for some shapes, the centroid may lie outside of the shape's boundaries.

What are some real-world applications of finding the centroid of a shape?

Finding the centroid of a shape has many real-world applications, such as determining the center of mass for objects, calculating the center of gravity for vehicles, and designing stable structures in architecture and engineering. It is also used in computer graphics for creating 3-dimensional models and in mapping for determining the center of a city or region.