What Does Schrödinger Convey in the Epilogue of What is Life?

• Thread starter JonDrew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding Schrödinger's "What is Life?" and his use of the "plurality hypothesis". The speakers also question whether Schrödinger is speaking negatively about Kant and what he means by his statement regarding personal existence and the laws of thermodynamics and quantum physics. However, the conversation ends with a reminder that purely philosophical discussions are not allowed on the forum.
JonDrew
I just read Schrödinger's "What is life?" and was very confused by some of the things he said in his epilogue, some help understanding it would be great!

What does he mean by the "plurality hypothesis"? I think he means that idea that multiple consciousnesses could make up one consciousness but I seemed to have missed what he meant by that, I think.

Was he meaning to talk negatively about Kant when he said "For this extravagance Kant is responsible."? I think he is but I really don't know.

And finally when he states "In no case is there a loss of personal existence to deplore. Nor will there ever be." does he mean to offer a proof that we can know who we are because we are so far below the 'melting point' of the aperiodic crystals which make up our consciousness. Or in other word since our brains can be model as if they were at absolute zero we can be assured, from the laws of thermodynamics and quantum physics, that we are willful beings? I am sooooo confused by what he meant by this last line.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not trying to rain on your parade or drown your enthusiasm, but philosophy (even when espoused by famous physicists) is a strict 'no-no' in PF.

Curious is correct, we stopped purely philosophical discussions.

Related to What Does Schrödinger Convey in the Epilogue of What is Life?

1. What is Schrödinger's "What is life?"

Schrödinger's "What is life?" is a book written by physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1944, which explores the concept of life from a scientific perspective.

2. Why did Schrödinger write "What is life?"

Schrödinger wrote "What is life?" as a response to the growing interest in understanding the fundamental nature of life and its underlying physical processes.

3. What are the key ideas in "What is life?"

In his book, Schrödinger proposes that living organisms are governed by the laws of physics and chemistry, and that the key to understanding life lies in understanding how living organisms maintain a state of negative entropy.

4. How did "What is life?" influence the field of biology?

Schrödinger's ideas in "What is life?" had a significant impact on the field of biology, particularly in the study of molecular biology and genetics. His concept of negative entropy, or "order out of chaos," provided a new way of thinking about the complexity of living systems.

5. Is "What is life?" still relevant today?

Despite being written over 70 years ago, "What is life?" remains relevant in contemporary discussions about the nature of life and the origins of living organisms. Many of Schrödinger's ideas have been further developed and expanded upon by modern scientists, making his book a cornerstone in the study of life.