What does the notation $||A-B||_{2,a}$ represent in terms of matrix norms?

In summary, the conversation discusses an unfamiliar norm notation $||A-B||_{2,a}$ with $a$ representing the standard deviation of a Gaussian kernel. The index 2 indicates the $\ell _2$ norm, but it is unclear what the $a$ represents. The conversation also asks about the definition of matrix norm and whether it is similar to vector norm. The response provides a link to an explanation of matrix norm and clarifies that the notation refers to the element-wise (or Frobenius) norm of a 2D-convolution.
OhMyMarkov
Hello everyone!

I came across, in a reading, an unfamiliar norm notation: $||A-B||_{2,a}$ where $a$ is the standard deviation of a Gaussian kernel. Now I know that the index 2 represents the $\ell _2$ norm, but what about the $a$?

Moreover, is the matrix norm defnied in a similar way to the vector norm?Any help is apptreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
OhMyMarkov said:
Hello everyone!

I came across, in a reading, an unfamiliar norm notation: $||A-B||_{2,a}$ where $a$ is the standard deviation of a Gaussian kernel. Now I know that the index 2 represents the $\ell _2$ norm, but what about the $a$?

Moreover, is the matrix norm defnied in a similar way to the vector norm?Any help is apptreciated!

Hi OhMyMarkov, :)

The definition of the matrix norm and the notation you are taking about are explained here.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Thank you, Sudharaka,

I may need to point this out in case someone else comes across it in the future: this notation means the Element-wise (or Frobenius I guess) norm of the 2D-convolution of A with a Gaussian kernel of standard deviation a.

Related to What does the notation $||A-B||_{2,a}$ represent in terms of matrix norms?

1. What is "Unfamiliar Norm Notation"?

"Unfamiliar Norm Notation" is a term used in mathematics and statistics to describe a type of notation or representation of a mathematical concept that is not commonly used or understood.

2. Why is "Unfamiliar Norm Notation" used?

"Unfamiliar Norm Notation" may be used for a variety of reasons, such as to represent complex or abstract concepts in a concise manner, or to differentiate between different types of norms in a specific field of study.

3. How is "Unfamiliar Norm Notation" different from traditional notation?

"Unfamiliar Norm Notation" may differ from traditional notation in terms of symbols, variables, or the overall structure of the mathematical expression. It often requires a thorough understanding of the specific concept it represents in order to interpret it correctly.

4. Are there any benefits to using "Unfamiliar Norm Notation"?

Yes, there can be benefits to using "Unfamiliar Norm Notation". It can allow for more efficient or concise communication of complex mathematical concepts, and may also help to distinguish between different types of norms or highlight important features of a particular mathematical expression.

5. How can one become familiar with "Unfamiliar Norm Notation"?

Becoming familiar with "Unfamiliar Norm Notation" often requires a strong understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and principles. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field or to refer to specialized resources or textbooks that explain the notation in detail.