Optimization: Dual for L1 norm minimization with equality constraint

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the formulation of a dual problem for an L1-norm optimization problem with an equality constraint. The suggested approach involves writing the Lagrangian and differentiating it to obtain the dual function.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Find the dual problem of the L1 norm minimization problem with an equality constraint
Relevant Equations
Epigraphic reformulation
Hi,

I was reading through some notes on standard problems and their corresponding dual problems. I came across the L2 norm minimization for an equality constraint, and then I thought how one might formulate the dual problem if we had an L1-norm instead.

Question:
Consider the following optimization problem:
## \text{minimize}_{x}## ## || x ||_{1} ##
subject to: ## Ax = b ##.
where ## x \in \mathbb{R}^{n} ##, ## b \in \mathbb{R}^{n} ##, and ## A \in \mathbb{R}^{n \times n} ##

Attempt at finding the dual:
This is the attempt I have made, but I don't know how to proceed much further

1. Make an epigraphic reformulation of the objective function
We get:
## \text{minimize}_{t, x}## ## \sum_{j = 1}^{n} t_{j} ##
subject to: ## Ax = b ##
## -x_{j} \leq t_{j} ## and ## x_{j} \leq t_{j} ## for ## j = 1, ..., n ##

2. Write the Lagrangian
I realized that I don't fully understand what to do here when there are two separate optimization variables.

Would the Lagrangian look like?
[tex] L(x, t, \lambda, \nu) = \vec{1}^{T} \vec{t} + \vec{\nu}^{T} \left( A \vec{x} - \vec{b} \right) + \vec{\lambda}^{T} \left( \vec{x} - \vec{t} \right) + \vec{\lambda}^{T} \left( -\vec{x} - \vec{t} \right) [/tex]

I included vector symbols just to (try to) be clear.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It's great to see that you are delving into the topic of standard and dual problems.

To answer your question, your attempt at finding the dual problem is on the right track. Here are a few suggestions to help you proceed further:

1. It is not necessary to make an epigraphic reformulation of the objective function. The L1-norm can be written as a sum of absolute values, which can then be reformulated as a linear program. This will make the Lagrangian easier to work with.

2. Your Lagrangian looks correct, but you have some extra terms in it. The Lagrangian should only have one set of Lagrange multipliers (in this case, \lambda) for the equality constraint and another set (in this case, \nu) for the inequality constraints. So your Lagrangian should look like this:

L(x, t, \lambda, \nu) = \vec{1}^{T} \vec{t} + \vec{\nu}^{T} \left( A \vec{x} - \vec{b} \right) + \vec{\lambda}^{T} \left( \vec{x} - \vec{t} \right)

3. To proceed further, you can differentiate the Lagrangian with respect to x and t, set the derivatives to zero, and solve for x and t in terms of \lambda and \nu. This will give you the dual function, which you can then maximize with respect to \lambda and \nu to obtain the dual problem.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the L1 norm?

The L1 norm, also known as the Manhattan norm or the sum of absolute values, is a mathematical concept used to measure the distance between two points in a vector space. It is defined as the sum of the absolute values of the elements in a vector.

2. What is optimization?

Optimization is the process of finding the best possible solution to a problem. In mathematics, it involves finding the values of variables that minimize or maximize an objective function while satisfying certain constraints.

3. What is the dual for L1 norm minimization with equality constraint?

The dual for L1 norm minimization with equality constraint is a mathematical technique used to solve optimization problems involving the minimization of the L1 norm subject to an equality constraint. It involves finding the Lagrange dual function and solving the corresponding dual problem.

4. How is the dual for L1 norm minimization with equality constraint different from other optimization methods?

The dual for L1 norm minimization with equality constraint is different from other optimization methods because it involves converting a primal problem into a dual problem, which can often be easier to solve. It also allows for the incorporation of constraints into the optimization process.

5. What are some real-world applications of L1 norm minimization with equality constraint?

L1 norm minimization with equality constraint has many real-world applications, including signal processing, image processing, machine learning, and compressed sensing. It is also commonly used in statistics for variable selection and feature extraction.