What does the scalar product of two displacements represent?

In summary, the scalar product of the cross product with a third vector defines the volume of a parallelepiped.
andylatham82
TL;DR Summary
The scalar product of two displacements gives a displacement squared (area). What does this represent?
Hi,

This feels like such a stupid question, but it's bugging me. Two displacements can be represented with two vectors. Let's say their magnitudes are expressed in metres. The scalar (dot) product of the two vectors results in a value with the units of square metres, which must be an area. Can anyone tell me what this area is in relation to the two vectors?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
andylatham82 said:
Summary:: The scalar product of two displacements gives a displacement squared (area). What does this represent?
Two displacements can be represented with two vectors. Let's say their magnitudes are expressed in metres. The scalar (dot) product of the two vectors results in a value with the units of square metres, which must be an area. Can anyone tell me what this area is in relation to the two vectors?
From my undergrad alma mater... :smile:

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~dadde...plications/Determinant/Determinant/node4.html

1581464307482.png

andylatham82 said:
Can anyone tell me what this area is in relation to the two vectors?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product#Geometric_definition

You can interpret this as the area of a rectangle, with the sides:
- length of vector1
- length of vector2 projection onto vector1

But note that this is a signed area, which goes negative if the angle is > 90°.

A.T. said:
This seems to be about the cross product.
Dagnabit! I blame Google, and my alma mater, of course. o0)

Thanks! :smile:

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur and anorlunda
A.T. said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product#Geometric_definition

You can interpret this as the area of a rectangle, with the sides:
- length of vector1
- length of vector2 projection onto vector1

But note that this is a signed area, which goes negative if the angle is > 90°.

Thanks very much for the response. So the resultant area doesn't really represent anything tangible with regards to the two displacements? It's just an abstract 'area' that you couldn't, say, draw on a diagram of the two vectors?

berkeman said:
Dagnabit! I blame Google, and my alma mater, of course. o0)

Thanks! :smile:

Thanks for the link anyway, I was also wondering what the cross product would represent, so you've answered that question for me!

andylatham82 said:
It's just an abstract 'area' that you couldn't, say, draw on a diagram of the two vectors?
Nothing stops you from drawing that rectangle torgether with the vectors and their projection.

andylatham82 said:
Thanks for the link anyway, I was also wondering what the cross product would represent, so you've answered that question for me!
To complete the picture, the scalar product of the cross product with a third vector ##\vec c## is the volume of the parallelepiped defined by the three vectors,$$V=(\vec a \times \vec b)\cdot \vec c=(\vec c \times \vec a)\cdot \vec b=(\vec b \times \vec c)\cdot \vec a.$$Note that the third vector must be in the direction of the cross product to ensure a positive volume. If the three vectors are coplanar, the volume is, obviously, zero.

1. What is the scalar product of two displacements?

The scalar product of two displacements is a mathematical operation that results in a single scalar value. It is also known as the dot product and is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the two displacements and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. What does the scalar product of two displacements represent?

The scalar product of two displacements represents the magnitude of the component of one displacement in the direction of the other displacement. In other words, it represents the amount of overlap or alignment between the two displacements.

3. How is the scalar product of two displacements calculated?

The scalar product of two displacements is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the two displacements and the cosine of the angle between them. This can be represented mathematically as A · B = |A||B|cosθ, where A and B are the two displacements and θ is the angle between them.

4. What is the significance of the scalar product of two displacements?

The scalar product of two displacements is significant because it allows us to calculate the work done by a force on an object. It also helps in determining the angle between two vectors and the projection of one vector onto another.

5. Can the scalar product of two displacements be negative?

Yes, the scalar product of two displacements can be negative. This indicates that the two displacements are in opposite directions or have an angle between them greater than 90 degrees. A positive scalar product indicates that the two displacements are in the same direction or have an angle between them less than 90 degrees.