What does the 'sum' in vector addition refer to?

In summary, vector addition in physics is a mathematical operation used to combine two or more vectors into a single vector, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is important in physics because it allows for more precise analysis of object motion. To add vectors, one must determine their magnitude and direction and use the head-to-tail method. The main difference between vector addition and scalar addition is that vector addition considers direction, while scalar addition only considers magnitude. Vectors can be added even if they are in different directions, with the resulting vector's direction determined by the direction of the original vectors.
MIA6
I have a question on 'vector addition'. I know that resultant is the sum of two or more vectors. But this sum doesn't mean the sum of magnitudes of two or more vectors, right? So what does that 'sum' refer to? Combined effect? Hope you can answer my question, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sum is the addition of the i, j, and k components of the vector. To find the magnitude of the sum you first need to add the components then find the magnitude of the resultant vector. i.e. take the square root of the sum of the squares.

Hello! Thank you for your question about vector addition. You are correct, the resultant of vector addition is not simply the sum of the magnitudes of two or more vectors. Instead, it refers to the combined effect of those vectors. This is because vectors have both magnitude (size) and direction, and when adding them together, we must consider both of these elements. The resultant is the vector that represents the combined effect of the original vectors, taking into account both magnitude and direction. I hope this helps clarify the concept of vector addition for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to What does the 'sum' in vector addition refer to?

1. What is vector addition in physics?

Vector addition in physics is a mathematical operation used to combine two or more vectors into a single vector. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each vector to determine the resulting vector.

2. Why is vector addition important in physics?

Vector addition is important in physics because it allows us to analyze and understand the motion of objects in a more precise and accurate manner. It is particularly useful in studying forces, velocities, and accelerations.

3. How do you add vectors in physics?

To add vectors in physics, you first need to determine the magnitude and direction of each vector. Then, using the head-to-tail method, you place the tail of the second vector at the head of the first vector and draw a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum of the two original vectors.

4. What is the difference between vector addition and scalar addition?

The main difference between vector addition and scalar addition is that vector addition takes into account both magnitude and direction, while scalar addition only considers magnitude. This means that when adding vectors, the direction of the resulting vector matters, while in scalar addition, only the numerical values are added together.

5. Can vectors be added if they are in different directions?

Yes, vectors can be added even if they are in different directions. When adding vectors, the direction of the resulting vector is determined by the direction of the two original vectors. If the two vectors are in opposite directions, the resulting vector will have a direction between the two original vectors.