What does this mathematical expression mean physically?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the commutator [[H,x],x] and its relation to the expression ##\underset{k}{\sum}\left(E_{k}-E_{j}\right)\left|<a_{j}|x|a_{k}>\right|^{2}=\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}##. This expression is related to a transition amplitude and can be seen as a weighted sum of energy gaps between specific energy states. It may be easier to understand in a classical context, but it appears to be an alternative statement of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.
ieatsk8boards
This is from from Sakurai and Napolitano HW Prob #2.6. I've done the HW problem and can fit all the pieces together with the mathematical formalism, but even afterwards I'm still scratching my head wondering what I'm looking at.

I start with the commutator [[H,x],x]. If I take <ai|[[H,x],x]|ai>, and manipulate with the formalism, I end up with

##\underset{k}{\sum}\left(E_{k}-E_{j}\right)\left|<a_{j}|x|a_{k}>\right|^{2}=\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}##

Which is what the book is asking me to prove. What does this expression mean physically?

My best guess looking at this, is that it is related to a transition amplitude, since I see we are taking the probability that the x-operator yields a different energy state, and then multiplying that probability by the energy gap between them.

This is how I read it: "If we sum the energy gaps between the specific energy state j weighted with the probability of obtaining the energy gap upon operating with the position operator, then we end up with ##\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}##."

Perhaps it would be easier for me to understand if there is something classical I can relate this to?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, it just looks like an alternative statement of the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle.

1. What is the meaning of a mathematical expression in the context of physics?

The meaning of a mathematical expression in the context of physics refers to the physical interpretation or significance of the mathematical equation. It explains how the various symbols and operations in the equation relate to the physical world and can be used to make predictions or solve problems.

2. How do I determine the physical meaning of a mathematical expression?

To determine the physical meaning of a mathematical expression, you need to understand the physical quantities and units involved in the equation. This can be done by identifying the symbols used and their corresponding physical quantities, as well as the units of measurement being used.

3. Can a mathematical expression have multiple physical meanings?

Yes, a mathematical expression can have multiple physical meanings depending on the context in which it is used. For example, the same equation can represent the force of gravity and the acceleration due to gravity, depending on the values of the variables involved.

4. How does understanding the physical meaning of a mathematical expression help in solving physics problems?

Understanding the physical meaning of a mathematical expression is crucial in solving physics problems because it allows you to interpret the equation in the context of the problem and apply it correctly. It also helps in identifying which physical quantities are relevant to the problem and how they are related.

5. Can a mathematical expression be used to describe real-world phenomena?

Yes, mathematical expressions are often used to describe real-world phenomena in physics. By using mathematical equations, scientists can make predictions, analyze data, and understand the underlying principles and relationships in the physical world.