What does this symbol mean and how do you type it in LaTeX?

In summary, the equation a_{ij}=\lambda b_i+\mu c_i +\ldots +\tau ?_i is a typo and it should be some kind of English alphabet letter as in the other terms.
Ragnarok7
I'm reading Georgi Shilov's Linear Algebra and at the bottom of page 10 is has an equation \(\displaystyle a_{ij}=\lambda b_i+\mu c_i +\ldots +\tau ?_i\)
Where the ? is there is a symbol that I don't know. It looks like a curly lowercase f (like an integral symbol with a short stroke through the top part). It looks kind of like this:

View attachment 1013
But not completely. The dash is not slanted and it is shorter and more towards the top. Sorry if this is an obvious symbol! If anyone knows what I'm talking about could you tell me what it is used for and how you could write it in LaTeX? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-16 at 11.51.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-16 at 11.51.20 PM.png
    828 bytes · Views: 83
Physics news on Phys.org
Ragnarok said:
I'm reading Georgi Shilov's Linear Algebra and at the bottom of page 10 is has an equation \(\displaystyle a_{ij}=\lambda b_i+\mu c_i +\ldots +\tau ?_i\)
Where the ? is there is a symbol that I don't know. It looks like a curly lowercase f (like an integral symbol with a short stroke through the top part). It looks kind of like this:

View attachment 1013
But not completely. The dash is not slanted and it is shorter and more towards the top. Sorry if this is an obvious symbol! If anyone knows what I'm talking about could you tell me what it is used for and how you could write it in LaTeX? Thanks!

Hi Ragnarok, :)

I guess the symbol might depend on the edition and the publisher of the book in question. I mean, even if members have the book they might see a different symbol than what is in your book because they have a different edition and/or publication. So can you mention the edition and the publisher of the book? Also it would be really helpful if you can include a photo of the equation. :)

Well it is presumably a greek symbol, as the equation seems to be using them: $\lambda$, $\mu$, .. Does anything on this page look similar?

In LaTeX there's $\digamma$ but it may be a variant of that, just a wild guess..

Ragnarok said:
\(\displaystyle a_{ij}=\lambda b_i+\mu c_i +\ldots +\tau ?_i\)
Whatever it is it's obviously something in LaTeX code, but my guess as to the given expression is that it's a typo. The last term simply doesn't match with the rest of the equation. It should be some kind of (English) alphabet letter as in the other terms.

-Dan

Ragnarok said:

View attachment 1013

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f26/need-help-identifying-certain-latex-characters-5223/

At this thread, I have link to site where you can draw the symbol and it will look it up for you.

Since you didn't post a picture of the symbol and just a close example, I have found

\usepackage{ tipa }
\texthtbardotlessj

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6277/0uo1.png

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I did indeed use the LaTeX symbol-drawing tool to find the \fint symbol which looks similar. I do not believe it is a typo since it also appears on the next page.

View attachment 1014

View attachment 1015

I agree that I expected it to be a Latin alphabet letter to be consistent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 9.18.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 9.18.36 AM.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 9.19.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 9.19.33 AM.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 57
$$a_{ij}=\lambda b_{i}+\mu c_{i}+ \dots +\tau f_{i}.$$
\begin{align*}
D_{j}(a_{ij})&=D_{j}(\lambda b_{i}+\mu c_{i}+ \dots +\tau f_{i})\\
&=\lambda D_{j}(b_{i})+\mu D_{j}(c_{i})+ \dots+ \tau D_{j}(f_{i}).
\end{align*}

It's just the normal 'f' character as typed in a math environment.

:eek: Well, I feel stupid. Thank you!

Any reason why he would have chosen tau and f?

Ragnarok said:
:eek: Well, I feel stupid. Thank you!

Any reason why he would have chosen tau and f?
Probably just what the author was used to or convenient letters for later. Personally I would have labeled the last term either with a [tex]\nu d_i[/tex] (the next letters after [tex]\mu[/tex] and c in Greek and English in the series) or by [tex]\omega z_i[/tex] (the last letter of both alphabets.)

And hey, I spent two days trying to figure out what the unit "h" was supposed to represent. I finally got an answer at PhysicsForums (in my pre-MHF and MHB days) and found out it means "hour." Kind of embarrassing, but everyone misses the obvious occasionally.

-Dan

1. What is LaTeX and how is it used to type symbols?

LaTeX is a typesetting software commonly used in scientific and technical writing. It allows users to create high-quality documents with complex equations, symbols, and formatting. To type symbols in LaTeX, you can use predefined commands or packages specifically designed for symbols.

2. What does the symbol mean in LaTeX?

The meaning of a symbol in LaTeX depends on the context in which it is used. Some symbols have specific mathematical or scientific meanings, while others are used for formatting purposes. It is important to consult a LaTeX symbol guide or documentation to understand the meaning of a symbol.

3. How do I find and insert symbols in LaTeX?

There are several ways to find and insert symbols in LaTeX. You can use predefined commands, such as \alpha for the Greek letter alpha, or use packages like amssymb or amsmath to access a wider range of symbols. Additionally, you can use online resources or the "Insert Symbol" function in your LaTeX editor.

4. How do I type special characters and accents in LaTeX?

To type special characters and accents in LaTeX, you can use the \accent command followed by the letter you want to modify. For example, to type é, you would use \'{e}. Alternatively, you can use the inputenc package and specify the language and character encoding in your LaTeX document.

5. Can I create my own symbols in LaTeX?

Yes, you can create your own symbols in LaTeX using the \newcommand or \DeclareMathSymbol commands. This allows you to define a custom symbol and assign it a specific meaning or mathematical function. However, it is important to follow standard conventions and use caution when creating new symbols.