What does y-intercept of a (a vs F) graph represent?

• B
  • Thread starter efake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses creating a force vs acceleration graph and the relationship between acceleration and force. The slope of the graph is equal to the mass of the object, and the y-intercept represents the friction force in a static situation. However, there are other situations where the applied force may not result in acceleration, such as when the force is less than the weight of the object. The slope would only be equal to the mass if the graph plotted net external force instead of just force and acceleration.
efake
Hey! I was creating a force vs acceleration graph. acceleration is on the x-axis and force is on the y-axis. I got the slope and it was equal to the mass of the object. However, I got a y-intercept equal to +7.74(positive). What does this represent. Is this the friction or...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's think about this. So in a situation where an object is at rest on a surface with friction, you do apply a force, and nothing happens. Then you apply just the right amount of force to overcome static friction, so the object is now subject to kinetic friction.

So in static situation, the friction force is exactly equal to the applied force, and the object does not accelerate. In kinetic friction, the frictional force will be a constant {equal to mu*(normal force)}, but the slope (change in applied force divided by change in acceleration) would be equivalent to the mass of the object.

But there are other situations, where you apply a small force which causes nothing to happen. Think about a weight sitting on the ground, which you wish to pick up.
What happens when your force is less than the weight of the object? Then when your force is greater, what is happening?

efake said:
I got the slope and it was equal to the mass of the object
no it was not equal to the mass. you have plotted only 1 force vs acceleration. If you had plotted net external force , then slope would be equal to mass.

What is the meaning of the y-intercept in a graph?

The y-intercept in a graph represents the value of the dependent variable (y-axis) when the independent variable (x-axis) is equal to zero. It is the point where the line intersects with the y-axis.

How do I find the y-intercept on a graph?

To find the y-intercept on a graph, you can look for the point where the line crosses the y-axis. Alternatively, you can set the value of the independent variable to zero and solve for the dependent variable to find the y-intercept.

What does a y-intercept of zero mean?

A y-intercept of zero means that the dependent variable (y-axis) is equal to zero when the independent variable (x-axis) is also equal to zero. This can be interpreted as the starting point of the graph or the initial value of the dependent variable.

Can the y-intercept be negative?

Yes, the y-intercept can be negative. This means that the line crosses the y-axis below the origin point. It indicates that the dependent variable has a negative value when the independent variable is equal to zero.

How does the y-intercept affect the shape of a graph?

The y-intercept does not affect the shape of the graph, as it only determines the starting point of the line. The slope of the line is what determines the steepness or slope of the graph.